Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xcal II & custom tunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Xcal II & custom tunes

Well after 2 months of waiting I finally received my custom tunes from Troyer Performance today.

After reading everything over and downloading the tunes from my email to the Xcal II it was off to actually install one into the truck. I had just filled up with 87 octane so I installed the 87 performance tune. Install took about 5 - 10 minutes to download the stock tune onto the Xcal II and then the custom tune to the truck. After getting it loaded it was now time to take her out for a spin.

After driving on my stock tune for the last 15 months it was like I was driving a totally different truck. In terms of acceleration and throttle responsiveness it was night and day. I could feel it as soon as drove the truck out of my driveway, but as soon as I was able to get onto the interstate and go WOT even my wife said she could feel the difference. If someone who only drove the truck twice in 15 months could feel a difference sitting in the passenger seat could feel a difference image how it felt to me in the drivers seat.

I cannot wait until the 87 octane is all used up and I can step up to the 93 performance tune and feel that one. The waiting time really sucked, 2 months is a very long time to wait for anything, but man am I so glad I went with the Xcal II. Well worth it IMO and for those on the fence trying to decide, I give it .
Old 05-18-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats amazing, i can't wait till i start my new job now in june, then all the mods will start...ive been leaning towards the xcal 2, though my friend got the superchips and is very happy with it.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:21 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

it took Troyer two months to get you an xcal? My tuner cut a tune for my bird and had it in two days...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Normally it doesn't take him 2 months, but about the time I ordered my tunes he had 7 Rousch trucks come into the shop that were priority. Normal wait time is 18-22 business days which could still be up to 5 weeks. Trust me though after my initial ride tonight the wait seems to have been worth it.

There are certainly other tuners that I could have went with that probably could have gotten me my tunes faster. I could have went with an Edge and "canned" tunes and had it in a matter of days. The fact that it takes him awhile and he gets so many orders from F150 owners should tell you something about his custom tuning ability. He has been custom tuning our trucks for over 15 years and specializes in the F150. It may have taken 2 months, but I think I certainly got the best tunes that money could buy.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 PM

Nice.. It took almost 3 weeks for me to get my tune for my X Cal 2from a shop here in Austin. And I am just tuned for 87 Octane. And I felt a massive diffrence myself. It's amazing what tunes can provide. And I am also sitting on a Roush ECM. So it's got some power. Haven't dynoed yet. Hoping to do that soon. I'm thinking somewhere close to 330 - 340 hp and 370 - 380 trq. But yes X cal 2's are very nice.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Inaugural TOTM

I actually got 3 tunes for mine. An 87 tow, 87 performance and 92 performance, went with the 92 because I'll be moving to Hawaii in September and 92 is the highest octane out there. I'm actually gonna try to do some datalogging and send that information back to Troyer and he will make any necessary tune adjustments free of charge. He's actually doing a dyno day in Jun, but unfortunately I'll be in Missouri. Would love to make it up there and have him put my truck on the dyno and make any needed changes right there.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:20 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

My X-cal is dyno tuned. I picked up some good #s for it just being a 4.6 with nothing but a K&N drop in filter.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:48 PM

Yea.. all I have done is a K&N drop in filter. Dual chamber flowmaster. Roush ECM and X cal 2. And i'll tell you what. For being an automatic it still bites 3rd gear. I have the 87 performance tune on my x cal 2. I don't haul anything. And I don't run high octane because gas is 3.30 a gallon. So I try to keep it cheap. Lol..
Old 05-19-2007, 02:57 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW sounds like I found another mod...lol

06f150Lariat: I noticed in your sig that you've got an LED smoked 3rd brake light. Where did you get it at??
Old 05-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Originally Posted by KaoticF150
Yea.. all I have done is a K&N drop in filter. Dual chamber flowmaster. Roush ECM and X cal 2. And i'll tell you what. For being an automatic it still bites 3rd gear. I have the 87 performance tune on my x cal 2. I don't haul anything. And I don't run high octane because gas is 3.30 a gallon. So I try to keep it cheap. Lol..
Yeah so far I haven't towed anyting with my truck, but you never know what the future holds. I will probably give the 92 performance a try once I get out to Hawaii just to see the difference, but for the most part will be sticking with the 87 performance for the exacxt reason you stated. Although I go with the best 87 octane that I can find, don't want to keep it too cheap.

Quick Reply: Xcal II & custom tunes