Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Tinting Rear Window

Been playing around with tint on my truck since I've had it. Currently have 30% on the front and 35% over the rear factory privacy tint. I feel the 35% the tinter used is more like a 40%. I tried 20% over the backs and it was wayyy too dark. I also put 50% on the full windshield which is nice. 30% has been perfect for the fronts, not a fan of anything darker.

So for the rear, has anybody tinted the rear window darker than the rear sides (Crew Cab)? 20% was wayy too dark to see at night cause keep in mind 20% combined with factory tinted glass brings it down to only 5% or even less. And I couldnt see crap at night. But with 35-40% is still allowing peoples headlights to glare into the cab. Has anybody done 30% over JUST the rear window with lighter rear side windows?

For some reason the rear window dosent look as dark as the rear sides. Maybe cause it's a bigger piece of glass and has more light going through it and is practically a flat and not curved piece of glass. But seriously from factory it seems the rear sides are around 20% while the rear window is around 35%. So would it look weird tinting that window slightly darker than the rear sides?

Thanks-
Old 08-18-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

My old f150 I was a regular cab sporty truck and i put on if I recall right 35% on the rear window it didn't have a slider.
It was fine. I was still hard just enough vision through it to see headlights at night.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have 35% now over the back 3 windows with factory privacy tint. The tint guy says one of the side rear windows metered at 12%. I had 20% before and it brought the rear windows down to almost 4%. Wayy too dark for me. But I'm wondering about doing 30% over just the back window and leaving the two rear sides 35%. I'm trying get down to 8%.

For some reason the math dosent work out because if the factory tint in the glass is 20% then 35% should make it around 7%. But it makes it 12% and 20% brings it all the way down to 4%. So I'm wondering if anybody has 30% over the back instead of 35%?

Quick Reply: Tinting Rear Window