Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Works Headers and Exhaust on 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Stainless Works Headers and Exhaust on 2013 5.0

So three weeks ago I traded my 2010 with a 4.6 for a 2013 with the 5.0 because I wanted the added power and ability to mod it. Last week, I installed SW long-tubes wand the performance connect and bolted it to their matching dual exhaust exiting behind the passenger rear tire.
I didn't take any pics, because they are all out there, but figured I'd give my impressions. Starting with the install: it was a royal pain getting them in there. Fit was excellent all around, but having a 4x4 means there isn't a lot of room to work with. The instructions were adequate, but I'm not sure if the 2013 is different, because the step of dropping the crossmember did nothing to make removing the stock exhaust easier. The exhaust hangers are bolted to the trans mount, which stays attached the trans when you take the crossmember out. I ended up just bending the stock hangers with a BFH until it came out. Not the preferred technique, but it worked. The number of bolts and their sizes also varied in several places versus what the instructions said. Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless. The final nitpick was the O2 sensor extension they included didn't match up with my factory connectors, so I just finagled the stock harness around til I had enough room, though it is VERY tight. After that, the header install was smooth but time-consuming, as one would expect.
On the exhaust portion, this was too easy other than lining up the two pipes and all the hangers simultaneously is definitely not a one-person job. Trust me, I tried and it was miserable. With two people, we had it all up and adjusted in less than a half hour. As with the headers, fit and finish was fantastic in every way and I have zero qualms about the decision.
Was the end result worth the money and work? Absolutely! At idle and low RPM, it's not much louder than stock. You know it's there, but I wouldn't call it intrusive by any stretch, though my last truck was straight-piped and I thought it was quiet. When you open it up, it sounds fantastic, comparable with any Mustang GT out there with an aftermarket exhaust. I'll probably swap the resonated X-pipe for a regular one at some point and see how it sounds, because loud doesn't bother me.
When I installed the headers and exhaust, I had a 93-octane Race tune from 5Star on standby and uploaded it as soon as I was finished with the install. It obviously made a difference as well, but don't hold it against me in this review. Stock to modified, there is no comparison in power or driveability. First gear is basically useless at full throttle, and I can feel tire spin at the top of second gear as well. I'm not going to try and guess at power numbers, but the seat of the pants feeling is impressive. With the Race tune, the truck won't shift below 2,200 RPM and it downshifts faster and easier, but I'm still averaging 14.3 MPG in the all-city, fairly hilly island environment I live in. Before I was getting 14.5, but the truck only had 700 miles on it when I got the headers on and just broke 1,000. End result is a major improvement in power everywhere, better driveability, improved sound, and virtually identical mileage, with a trade off of needing 93 octane for my tune, a few scraped knuckles, and an incessant need to hear the exhaust at every opportunity.
Any questions or comments, feel free to have at me.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

Glad you like it. Give it a few miles to break in and it will sound better. I have the complete system on my '11 Lariat 6.2. The long tube headers, high flow cats. with X-pipe, performance connect with the 3" chambered mufflers and duals coming out at the stock location with 3 1/2" slash cut tips. Kinda looks like the Raptor tips. I didn't do the install. I had the dealership where I ordered the truck do the install. They said it went well with no issues. The sound this 6.2 makes with this system is loud and nasty. Never heard anything like it. When I tramp down on her it sounds like I'm on a Nascar track. All heads turn, lol. I have a Livewire with custom performance and tow tunes. I was happy when she was stock, now I'm thrilled to no end!! The performance went from bad as* to truly nasty. After I had it installed my gas mileage improved. Hope your as happy as I am....

Last edited by Scarlet; 04-13-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Stainless Works Headers and Exhaust on 2013 5.0