Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollable tonneau that allows lift gate to close while it is closed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rollable tonneau that allows lift gate to close while it is closed

Hi All:

As some of you know I recently purchased a 2016 F150 supercrew. I am now looking to outfit it with a quality rollable tonneau cover. I have owned several such covers in the past. While they have all been reasonably good, one thing I always found annoying was that I needed to have the last bit of them open in order to close the lift gate. See 3.06-3:10 of this video for an example of what I am talking about:

That said, is there a decent tonneau on the market now that allows the liftgate to be closed without requiring the tonneau cover to be unlatched?
Old 05-31-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The roll-x I have will let you do that, it slides in under the lip with ease, now I have the original model that has a rubber strip from one side to the other and that sometimes gets bunched up so I slide a pocket screwdriver or the like to help it lay flat across the tailgate, also if I close the tailgate without pushing that last panel all the way down, the gate closes as normal then just bump each corner to secure the tonneau latched.

The newer versions have eliminated that rubber strip and the gate closes under the edge with no issue.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Been looking at the Roll-X and the Truxedo titanium. I don't often store valuable stuff in my truck bed, but when I do I like the safety a hard cover provides. Much harder to break into than the std soft covers.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's weird, I have a LoPro QT and I always close the cover then just close the tailgate.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Truxedo Truxport closes with the top latched. I have the opposite problem - dang near impossible to close with the tailgate up!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Retrax

My Retrax can do it. I had one on my last vehicle as well for 8 years - loved it so much I went with one for my new F150. Pro MX. Not cheap, but man is that thing NICE.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a Lund and that can be closed and still able to open and close the tailgate.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't think of any soft roll up covers that have to be opened before the tailgate can be shut.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Platfinger
My Retrax can do it. I had one on my last vehicle as well for 8 years - loved it so much I went with one for my new F150. Pro MX. Not cheap, but man is that thing NICE.
My RetraxOne cover is less than 2 years old and already has two giant cracks in the polycarbonate decking probably caused by heat. Just made a warranty claim and it cost me $65 for the cover part and $40 for shipping to TX from their factory in ND.

I was hoping it would be a cover I could keep for a long time without problems considering what I paid for it, but that's not the case evidently.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Parson777
My RetraxOne cover is less than 2 years old and already has two giant cracks in the polycarbonate decking probably caused by heat. Just made a warranty claim and it cost me $65 for the cover part and $40 for shipping to TX from their factory in ND.

I was hoping it would be a cover I could keep for a long time without problems considering what I paid for it, but that's not the case evidently.
Hmmmm... That's weird. I deal with Retrax all the time and I've never heard of anything like that before. Did they say what they think caused the problem?

Quick Reply: Rollable tonneau that allows lift gate to close while it is closed