Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resonater questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resonater questions!

What is the purpose of the resonater on my trucks exhaust system when it has a muffler? Do all the engines have them too, I have the 3.7 so I don't know if they do. If I remove the resonater will my truck not have that high pitched sound that if has cause that would be awesome...lol!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Wyatt

Received 163 Likes on 136 Posts

Exactly.....the resonator is their to keep the drone down in the cab. Specifically if you tow like I do, you don't want that annoying booming sound inside. Since you probably don't do a lot of heavy duty towing with the 3.7, taking it off will give you a lot more of that sound your looking for.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:57 AM

Great that sounds good, hopefully it will get rid of that noise and improve performance a little until I can get the rest of the system changed out.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:27 PM

Well I took out the resonator and it sounded a lil better but this noise was still there. It's hard to explain this noise. Now I changed out the muffler for a flowmaster 40 and left the remaining stock piping...2.5 inch I believe. It sounds good at idle up to 2500 then it gets really loud and ricer sounding. I don't like that, what else can I do to change the tone again?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:36 AM

Put the resonator back on
Old 02-11-2015, 09:33 AM

That thought did cross my mind. My CAI comes in today so I'll see if that does anything before I put the resonator back on.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 AM

Update: The CAI did help it alot actually so I'll give it a little more time before I decide to put the resonator back on.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 PM

The resonator dosent really hinder the sound it keeps the drone out of the cab so it's not annoying while in higher rpms
Old 02-15-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I started with a resonator delete pipe last summer on my truck and installed it myself in the driveway and had it on for a few weeks and wasn't thrilled with the lack of increase in sound, so I put the resonator back on and had a muffler shop cut out the stock muffler and put a straight through piece of pipe in. The resonator helps keep down any drone in the cab and the sound is much better by simply removing the stock muffler before spending all the money on an aftermarket system.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:41 PM

I did the same except I cut the resonator out and clamped on a piece of flex pipe. That made it sound a little better and now I regret changing the muffler out before getting my CAI. I have been reading lately how people are getting better sound with a CAI and resonator delete. That's probably what I should have done before going straight to a performance muffler. I will put the resonator back on soon to see if that quites the sound down a little bit. My dummy self should have gone with a not so aggressive muffler, live and learn!

Quick Reply: Resonater questions!