Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick and Easy rear shim install

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick and Easy rear shim install

I have a 2012 2wd ecoboost crew cab and recently installed the rough country lowering shackles on the rear set at the 2 inch drop setting. I love the way the truck looks now with the rear sitting 3/4in higher in the rear than the front, BUT I was experiencing a shudder/vibration at 16-25 mph. Did my research and ordered a 2 degree shim off amazon. It arrived and I once again did research on the best way to install them. I read:

Lift truck, support frame on jack stands, remove wheels, take off lower shock bolt, loosen U bolts and lower pumpkin to slide shim in place. Whew- A LOT of work.

Here's what I did and what you'll need.

impact gun (didn't pay attention to what size socket I used) , regular floor jack, a couple blocks of wood, a bottle jack, and a friend with a steady hand.

Here's what to do.

pick a side to start, we started with the driver side.

Use the impact gun to loosen U-bolt nuts to the point where they are almost off the bolt. Then take the floor jack with a wood block on it and place it behind the U bolt on the leaf spring. Jack up the floor jack until you can see a space between the axle and the leaf pack. Then use the bottle jack on the leaf pack in front of the U-bolts. This will give you enough space to place the shim on the axle between the leaf pack. Here's where your steady handed friend comes in. SLOWLY lower the bottle jack so that the shim doesn't shift, and do the same with the floor jack. Once the pressure if off the leaf spring then it'll be back on the floor. Tighten the U-bolt nuts in a criss cross pattern a little at a time so that there is equal pressure and everything is even.

Repeat on the other side.

So there you go. With the correct tools it takes MAYBE 30 mins. No removing the wheels, quick and easy. Just be careful and never put your fingers in harm's way. I hope this helps. The 2* shim took away all my driveline vibration and for $23 and 30 mins you can't beat that. I didn't take any pictures during the process, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

top is before. bottom is after rear shackle drop

put on some new tires the other day. no more white writing.

20% tint on whole windshield and front windows. 8% on rear passenger and 0% on rear window

Last edited by nickbean; 10-31-2016 at 10:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
James1980 (02-22-2019)