Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programmer voiding warranty on my 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer voiding warranty on my 2010?

I have a couple questions about putting a programmer in my truck. I have done searches on posts here and compiled some info, but not every question I had was answered. I am aware of the Magnusson-Moss act...but, if they refuse me service, I dont want all that headache.

-Has anyone with a programmer here had a problem and taken it into the dealership for work??

-Results of that?

-How easy is it to reflash back to the factory specs?

-Is there a log/record of reflashing on your truck computer?

-Can reflashing a bunch of times mess with your truck computer?

If I was to end up getting one, I would just reflash the truck everytime I took it into the dealer for warranty work and remove all evidence of it being there. But I dont want them to see on their scanning devices that I had a programmer installed(if thats possible) and screw over the extra $1500 I spent on the extended warranty.

I really appreciate any info put up. I just ask that it be information from you personally or of someone you personally know, please not from 3rd party info you read on the internet.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm gong to preface this with the notion that 99% of the time the dealer shouldn't need to do any PCM programming. They should only need to pull the codes.

1. I'm sure some dealers may give you flack if they know you have it. Always return it to stock and remove the programmer when going to the shop.
2. It's as easy to program the stock tune as it is it to program the other tunes. The programmer saves a file of the stock tune when it is over written and keeps it so it can always be set back. Takes about five minutes to flash the PCM.
3. There's no "log" that they can pull up on what has been previously been written but they can see if it has been re flashed or not. They cannot tell by who or what so for all they know it could've been done by another dealer. If you re flash just before a service it might show a P1000 drive cycle code but that is the same as if power had been off for a little while.
4. There is ALWAYS a risk with programming. This isn't to scare you but you need to know what you're doing and what the risks are when flashing the PCM. Find the common mistakes and follow the programmer's directions to a T and the risk is low.

Read this about tuning and then fire away with anymore questions you may have:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...unes-read.html
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Two part answer:

The technical answer is yes; using a programmer modifies the factory settings, and would be a condition for voiding the warranty. But, the would also have to prove that it was the source of any problem or issue that you may be having.

Real world? Most dealers will tell you sorry if you bring it in for any powertrain issue that COULD be related to the use of programmer, and either refuse service or void your warranty. Is that accurate? Maybe not, but good luck fighting it. You might win in the end if you can prove some sort of issue was not related.....after an investment of lots of time and possibly money.

If you revert it to stock before you take it in, there is no real way that I am aware of (and I am in the business) for them to tell that you had a different tune installed. I believe their equipment will show the date a program was changed, which could cause an issue, provided anyone bothered to look or cared.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

On the first few pages of my Edge manual, it states basically what SFDUDE said.

But in bold writing it also states..

NOTE: Even if you disconnect your unit,your dealer can detect the use of any programmer----even if the unit has been removed.

Does that mean simply removed, or returned to stock and removed???

Maybe a question to call and ask Edge??
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

not to take over the thread but I have a question about the Edge, when I purchase one and it downloads my stock tune to memory and I load up whatever level I want, then I put back to stock to take it in for service. If they for whatever reason reflash the truck to the most updated stock tune will that cause a problem when I load my Edge programmer back on the truck or will it download the "New" Stock tune that the dealer loaded?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

^ No. For a PCM reflash with a stock Edge programmer it won't matter. For the custom tuned Gryphon, yes it matters because the PCM is tuned for that HEX. The canned Edge is able to accept pretty much all of Ford's configurations.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

ok thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Programmer voiding warranty on my 2010?