Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem installing Bilstein 5100 front struts on '19 F150

Old 06-20-2019, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default problem installing Bilstein 5100 front struts on '19 F150

Hey guys, so today I got around to installing my Bilstein 5100 height adjustable front struts. I decided to go with the max lift of 2.1" and set the seat collar to the highest setting 5th ring. I followed the bilstein instructions and also the video below by Stage 3 motorsports. Once I had everything installed and torqued up I put the stock wheels back on and set the truck on the floor to see how it would sit. For some reason the truck was sitting a little over 3" higher than stock. I thought maybe I put something in upside down or put a spacer in that wasn't supposed to be used so I pulled both strut assemblies and took them apart. I did have everything installed properly according to the Bilstein instructions so I then decided to lower the seat collar down to the second lowest point. I put everything back together, installed them on the truck, put the wheels back on and set the truck on the ground. Instead of lowering the truck I actually gained another 3/4" of ride height so now the front of the truck is sitting almost 4" higher than stock. WTF is going on? I am completely at a loss and for the life of me can't figure out what is causing this. Any ideas? TIA

5100 (Ride Height Adjustable) - Shock Absorber

Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 PM

Here is a pic of the passenger side strut assembly.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:09 PM

When I got to the shop this morning I rolled the truck back and forth a bit to kind of settle the suspension as was recommended on another forum. It did come down a bit and the truck is now sitting right at 2" over stock, I have the circlip set in the second lowest groove which is supposed to give an average lift of 0.79". I'm not sure why I'm getting a bit more than double of what Bilstein shows in the instructions. Anyhow, I have it booked in to my dealership for a wheel alignment on Tuesday but it is driving straight and I had no issues with a short test drive. Now I need to get my fender flares installed and put my rims and tires on.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I have to know gow this is happening . I need to double the lift on my bill's!!! Lol
Keep us posted.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

I don't have any advice other than to say...same thing happened here. I think there was a change on the '19's that isn't getting reported. The +1.75" setting raised my '19 over 2 inches. Here's a pic of mine at the 1.75" setting after driving it around. Made the front sit higher than the rear. I can't imagine what the +2.1 setting would do.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a '19 F150 4x4. I installed the 5100s front and rear with front on highest setting. Mine is still a little higher in the rear.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

My only guess is that max tow plays a roll as it was significantly difficult to compress my springs enough.

Anyone else have max tow or a package that specs stiffer spring rates?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by sholxgt
My only guess is that max tow plays a roll as it was significantly difficult to compress my springs enough.

Anyone else have max tow or a package that specs stiffer spring rates?
This got me thinking so I just checked a copy of my window sticker. I don't have max tow but it does list 6500# GVWR package. Would that mean stiffer springs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: problem installing Bilstein 5100 front struts on '19 F150