Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Comp 6" lift vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Pro Comp 6" lift vibration

Had a suspension Lift put on my 2008 f150 super crew 4x4

On the way home after picking it up.
Vibration 50 mph or more. then the vibration was at 40 mph
then I noticed ratcheting noise and the vibration at 30 mph now.

The yoke for the rear drive shaft sticks out 1 3/4 inch more or at least that is how much of the shinny part shows now

it kinda feels like the frt hubs are staying engaged

the shop has been looking all day and now I have left it over night
any suggestions or Ideas
do I need to supply more info

Last edited by Larryw1; 02-24-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

1. As far as the front hubs, they require vacuum to "unlock" the hubs. (opposite of what you may think) Seeing as how they had the whole front end of this truck apart (including the hubs), they could've forgot to reconnect a vacuum line, or pinched one somewhere. Or maybe they just reassembled the spindle/hub/bearing incorrectly. Either way, the vacuum required to unlock the hubs is not getting where it needs to go.

2. Anytime you lift a truck, it causes the driveshaft's splined area to extend. The more the lift, the more this is true. How high did you go? When you extend a driveshaft to the point where there isn't enough "overlap", you will get a vibration and almost a rumbling noise/feeling, and it will lead to premature wear. Some of the more radical kits require longer drive shafts, or a spacer.

One possible thing to check with the driveshaft is when you put the blocks in the rear, (I assume the kit uses blocks) there is usually a beveled steel block that goes between the axle and spring that rotates the front of the differential upward to eliminate over-extension of the driveshaft, and keep the correct pinion angle. Maybe this was left out.

Either way, don't drive the truck like that. It can cause other things to go bad.

Having said all this, I doubt its ProComp's fault. I have a friend with one of their kits in his 2007 Ford, and they thought of EVERYTHING. Good luck

Last edited by driver444; 02-24-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
@jverderber1

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

It could be the fact that some of the bolts are loose and were not torqued enough. I have a Pro Comp lift and had to torque the bolts to stop a small vibration on my truck 2 days after I installed the lift. After they were tightened everything has been fine since even after hard off roading. Didnt notice any difference with my drive shaft though
Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 PM

I have brought up the drive shaft lengthen I dea three times to the shop. They say it is not needed with procomp lifts. I will still go to the drive line specialty shop when my truck comes back.
I want to use some adjustable frt satruts and lower the front approx 1"
the 6" lift using stock frt strut with a spacer has the front higher than the rear. they only added a 3" block to the existing blocks
I am thinking that there is a problem with the hubs still but they say no

I never thought it is pro comp fault -- the installer is at question or it is just things I need to deal with by changing things on my truck. I am sure that all will be fine soon!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryw1
I have brought up the drive shaft lengthen I dea three times to the shop. They say it is not needed with procomp lifts. I will still go to the drive line specialty shop when my truck comes back.
I want to use some adjustable frt satruts and lower the front approx 1"
the 6" lift using stock frt strut with a spacer has the front higher than the rear. they only added a 3" block to the existing blocks
I am thinking that there is a problem with the hubs still but they say no

I never thought it is pro comp fault -- the installer is at question or it is just things I need to deal with by changing things on my truck. I am sure that all will be fine soon!

out of curiosity, who did the install?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 PM

http://socalsuspensiongarage.com/home.html
It is a shop in EL Cajon Ca
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

As far as the hubs go, it's easy to check. Walk up to it and see if you can turn both front half-shafts by hand, (while in 2wd). If you can, they're unlocked, and you're good. Also, keep in mind that with vacuum actuated hubs, they don't necessarily unlock instantaneously. It could take a few seconds.

Last edited by driver444; 02-24-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 AM

Problem Resolved Shop Stated that the angle of the front diff drop down bracket was wrong. He installed a different crossmember and the truck drives good??? I did see the original crossmember on the floor. At least the first one he had installed. He said there was to much of a bind on the dr shaft. He had ordered a kit for the 2008. after bringing in a second oppinion. they both agreed to get another crossmember for the frt diff.

Quick Reply: Pro Comp 6" lift vibration