Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone mount using adhesive RAM mount to windshield

Old 10-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Flaccid Member

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Phone mount using adhesive RAM mount to windshield

In my last car i mounted my phone where the A-pillar and the dash meet using a RAM suction cup. It worked well enough, except eventually the cup would lose vacuum and I'd have to to re-stick it to the windshield.

I'm considering a slightly more permanent solution for the truck. I think if I mount the phone low, it will block areas out of the windshield that I want to be able to see. So I'm thinking about mounting it to the left of the rearview mirror. I'll hardwire 5V for that and the dashcam up in that area, as I did in my last car. My questions are:

Has anyone done this before?
If I apply the RAM adhesive ball to the shaded black matrix area around the mirror--to keep it out of view--will I be able to get rid of the adhesive (using Goo Gone, etc.) without damage to the black matrix shading?
Any other thoughts?

Obligatory disclaimer: I don't text or use my phone while driving. People who text while driving need to be sternly talked to. In the face. With a tire iron. I display Waze on my phone, and even if I eventually get CarPlay to work in my truck, Waze is still unsupported, unfortunately. I also have a GoPoint BT and it's app with which I can display engine parameters not available on the MFT.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.rokform.com/iphone-6-plus-clear-case

Love this case, has a small magnet that attaches to the dash. I have mine mounted just to the left of the traction control button. It does block a small portion of the screen when vertical, but with a twist it easily goes horizontal to provide full view of screen when backing up, ect. Goes on/off super easy, and just run the cord up from the USB port.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Flaccid Member

Yeah, I don't want an integrated case. I use a Magpul case when carrying the phone around. And my RAM mount fits the phone without a case.

I was having a look at the dash this morning, and I think I'm going to use the dash tray above the center display as a location for the RAM adhesive ball. I can put my phone up there and block neither the screen nor anything in the windshield. Now I just want to figure out how to run a USB cable up into that tray to keep things clean. I don't like cables strung across the dash.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Flaccid Member

I ended up doing this.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:36 PM
mehderator

Received 271 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
I ended up doing this.
Oh, that's not bad. I read your first post before I realized you'd already done that. I routinely stick 3M camera mounts to the black part above my windshield. It comes off without issue and without damage.
The following users liked this post:
DeltaNu1142 (10-20-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 03:28 AM
Flaccid Member

FYI, I stuck my dash cam to the black matrix/shaded area to the right of the rearview mirror as shown in my build thread (see link in sig).
Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 336 Likes on 300 Posts

I've used one of those air vent mounts (now holding my sct x4). It works well except it blocks air flow . I like that it doesn't block the window or block the MFT screen or any of the climate controls.
I am now looking at a different style but the only ones that I see that could work in the way I want it too use mounting tape to tape it on to the dash, and that is known to fail in Phoenix heat.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:34 PM
Flaccid Member

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl View Post
I am now looking at a different style but the only ones that I see that could work in the way I want it too use mounting tape to tape it on to the dash, and that is known to fail in Phoenix heat.
I'm in Florida, and mine is holding strong. I used the adhesive that came with the RAM Mount ball, but if you have doubts, try Scotch brand Extreme Mounting Tape. You can mount another truck's dash to your dash with that stuff.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

These are the best.

https://www.proclipusa.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Phone mount using adhesive RAM mount to windshield

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: