Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paragon Retractable Aluminum Tonneau Cover: Clamp Mount option

Old 06-22-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

Default Peragon Retractable Aluminum Tonneau Cover: Clamp Mount option

Ok, so I had done my research and wanted to get a Peragon Aluminum Retractable Tonneau Cover for my 2015 F-150 Super Crew with a 5.5ft bed. Since the truck is a Race Red with the Sport appearance package so I thought the satin black would look good.

I have read many of the reviews and opinions of the cover and found one of the overwhelming negative views were due to having to drill holes in the bed rail lip. Well, I have the privilege of announcing the new optional Clamp on System for the Peragon Cover. These new clamps not only remove the necessity to drill holes, they also and remove the need to shim the rails of the cover with washers. Now instead of shimming the rails with washers you adjust the rail height by bending the mount tabs up or down.

After installing the cover, I really like the look of it. It goes with the design of the truck and the black blends in rather than standing out. I videoed the install, and while by no means professional, I think it could help someone to install their own.

On the plus side, it is aluminum so it makes a durable and secure cover to keep things inside. I can open the cover without opening the tailgate and vice versa. I chose the double bolt locking system and so it is very secure and easy to open. The powder coat is durable and should resist fading. It is quiet going down the road, and, while not water proof, it is water resistant as long as you take the time to adjust it properly. You also have complete use of the bed floor when the cover is closed, this creates what some may view as a negative. The cover is also easy to remove, simply open it, release the lock on the right anchor pin and using the strap wrapped around the panels as a handle, angle it out of the rails.

The cons really depend on what you want or need out of the cover, for me there is only one. It gets really hot in the sun. It is metal so it gets as hot as a black truck or car. So if you may want to keep a towel in the truck to open it when it is out in the sun. If you are one that constantly needing to open it, that may be something to consider. I don’t open it much so it is not that big of a deal.

When it is open, it takes up space in the bed, about 8 inches or so. This is not unlike most retractable covers that roll up into a canister inside the bed. The difference is, when it is closed you have total use of the bed floor. You do need to have clearance underneath to open the cover, so you can't fill the bed to the top directly under the cover,

It also does not work well with a Plastic Bed liner. It interferes with the operation of the cover in the forward corners of the bed. This can be negated by cutting out some of the liner in the front corner of the bed. I talk about it in the video and show how and where it interferes. You would have to cut out the section above the tie down holes in the front. I really wanted to replace the liner with a bed rug at some point so I chose to remove it.

I am really pleased with my choice of the Peragon Aluminum Retractable Tonneau cover.

Disclaimer: I received a discount from Peragon in exchange for my input and review on the clamping system.

As for recommended changes on the clamps, I would like to see them add some cleats, maybe by bending the back corners of the clamps so they don’t move around so much when you tighten them.

I highly recommend the Peragon Retractable Aluminum Tonneau cover and the new Clamp on system. I believe it will be a $29 option.

Last edited by SKBORDERS; 06-22-2016 at 11:52 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SKBORDERS:
3mPath (11-27-2017), icetjsmitty (08-12-2020), peragon (06-23-2016), r1mcdonald (12-03-2017)
Old 06-22-2016, 11:31 AM

Here is the video I made.

I will also answer questions here.

Last edited by SKBORDERS; 06-22-2016 at 11:48 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by SKBORDERS:
dettonator (03-14-2018), noclutch (05-26-2019), peragon (06-23-2016), Sunnybriggs (02-12-2018), TNHItter (06-30-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Retractable Bed Cover

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SKBORDERS
Well, I have the privilege of announcing the new optional Clamp on System for the Peragon Cover. These new clamps not only remove the necessity to drill holes, they also and remove the need to shim the rails of the cover with washers. Now instead of shimming the rails with washers you adjust the rail height by bending the mount tabs up or down.
(...)
I highly recommend the Peragon Retractable Aluminum Tonneau cover and the new Clamp on system. I believe it will be a $29 option.
Thank you, SKBORDERS, for the review and video! Yes, we're excited to officially announce that we're launching a Clamp Kit option! We've heard from many customers who don't want to drill, but stability and safety of mounting is critical, so we took the time to do clamps right.

The Clamp Kit is not on our website yet, but we're announcing it here and making it available on phone orders only to the forum community first. We're currently only offering the Clamp Kit for the F-150 (5.5' and 6.5' beds), Chevy/GMC Silverado/Sierra (5.5' and 6.5' beds) and Ram (5.5' bed only) models. Other trucks will follow in the coming months.

Our standard mounting will still be bolted on through drilled holes, but for those who want a faster installation without drilling, the Clamp Kit is now available as a $29 option. We're not making the clamps standard because the additional cost would require us to raise our base cover price. We want to keep that base price low.

I'm happy to answer questions here and will follow-up with additional photos and information.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 AM

I am really enjoying this cover. It looks good and is quiet going down the road. It is a great option for those who want a retractable cover with out the canister or the $1000+ price tag.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Any others who can speak for the clamp on? Is there any regret with not having it secured by drilling? Lastly, any issues with spray in liners?

Looking to buy in the next month.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:43 PM

I don't know if anyone else has installed the clamp system. I was one of the first to try it.

Should not be an issue with spray on liners. The drop kind in do not fit the corners tightly and interfere with the operation of the cover.

So far the cover has not loosened any at all.
The following users liked this post:
ishootdeadppl (08-01-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed my cover with the clamps today. I have a 13' F150 long bed. Pretty straight forward at first. I did have an issue that required installing and removing the cover panels 2 or 3 times so I could remove the front end caps. With the front end caps installed the rails had to touch the rear window molding in order for my tailgate to close. Even then, the tailgate touched the rear rails in the t-slot area. If I closed the tailgate hard as you normally would, the rails would flex a bit. Definitely did not have the 3/16" gap between the end of the rails and the tailgate.

The first thing I tried was to sand down the front end caps a bit so I could still have them installed. Worried more about water getting in that part of the channel than aesthetics. This gave me about 1/16" gap at the tailgate. I decided to remove them all together. This gave me the required 3/16" at the tailgate and slightly more than a 1/16" at the front end of the rails and the molding. I didn't want the rails to touch the molding as it may mar the molding over time. This process probably added about an hour to my install. It was hot as hell, and I was irritated.

Once I removed the end caps from the front, the rest of the install went smooth. Cover opens and closes very well. Happy with the product and the end result. I haven't installed the tailgate seal yet. Had to get in the pool before I melted.

The following users liked this post:
ishootdeadppl (08-01-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default In the market for new bed cover 2015 6.5 Platinum

Originally Posted by peragon
Thank you, SKBORDERS, for the review and video! Yes, we're excited to officially announce that we're launching a Clamp Kit option! We've heard from many customers who don't want to drill, but stability and safety of mounting is critical, so we took the time to do clamps right.

The Clamp Kit is not on our website yet, but we're announcing it here and making it available on phone orders only to the forum community first. We're currently only offering the Clamp Kit for the F-150 (5.5' and 6.5' beds), Chevy/GMC Silverado/Sierra (5.5' and 6.5' beds) and Ram (5.5' bed only) models. Other trucks will follow in the coming months.

Our standard mounting will still be bolted on through drilled holes, but for those who want a faster installation without drilling, the Clamp Kit is now available as a $29 option. We're not making the clamps standard because the additional cost would require us to raise our base cover price. We want to keep that base price low.

I'm happy to answer questions here and will follow-up with additional photos and information.

I would be interested in some member pricing for a 2015 F150 platinum w 6.5 bed. Black clamps option and tailgate seal. Please let me know.

Thx,

Bmoney
Old 08-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ishootdeadppl
Any others who can speak for the clamp on? Is there any regret with not having it secured by drilling? Lastly, any issues with spray in liners?

Looking to buy in the next month.
I've installed 3 Peragon covers in my own trucks (all drill type) and have installed them in 2 other trucks as well. Again all with the drill type.

A friend of mine locally was also able to get Heath to send him the clamp style mount for his recently and I helped install this one to get an idea of how this works versus the older drill type mount.

The clamp style is MUCH more forgiving than the drill type. For obvious reasons of course. You have more freedom of moving the clamps around or getting the rails in a slightly better position and once you drill a hole, you are kinda stuck there with minimal movement. Thankfully I got pretty good at how to measure and mount them, but the clamps are a definite improvement.

I see no advantage or disadvantage to either type once the cover is mounted. They both keep it incredibly secure and mounted very well and firmly. No difference there in my opinion.

Each type I can see how one might favor the other but I think the clamp style is an excellent step forward with this company and cover. Peragon listened, paid attention to feedback, and made this improvement. Clearly they care and want to make it better and are always looking for ways to make it better. Even their 15 page instruction sheet already includes the install guidelines for both types in there. No guess work, no wondering, nothing. It's all there literally in black and white.
The following 2 users liked this post by TJPlatinumEB:
ishootdeadppl (08-03-2016), peragon (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Retractable Bed Cover

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmoney2221
I would be interested in some member pricing for a 2015 F150 platinum w 6.5 bed. Black clamps option and tailgate seal. Please let me know.

Thx,

Bmoney
I apologize for my delayed reply! I was out on vacation last week and am catching up on my inbox now. A PM is on the way with details for our forum member bonus. Thank you for your interest in a Peragon truck bed cover!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paragon Retractable Aluminum Tonneau Cover: Clamp Mount option