Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil catch can and why you may want one - see pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil catch can and why you may want one - see pics

There are some posts in the forum on this subject but after I did my Boss302 upgrade several YouTube videos showed the oil catch cans installed on the Mustang for the Boss install. I went ahead and got one for the passenger side (you can order these from several sources). Anyway below are pictures of the first 6 weeks running with the can installed on a 2014 F150 5.0L. Oil can was almost 3/4 full and on the rag is a bunch of oily thick residue that was on the bottom of the can (most of it got soaked into the rag before I could get a picture of if but is was nasty stuff). When I swapped out the manifold the old one and the throttle body had an oily coating on all the metal and plastic parts - another reason for the can!

Enjoy

BobH
Attached Images     
Old 09-11-2015, 01:41 PM
F150 Forum

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

No doubt getting the junk out will benefit any internal combustion engine.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I didnt even realise a catch can on an NA engine woukd have any benefit. Only ever run them on turbo'd cars. Wow...anyone ever think of just venting the crankcase to the atmosphere instead of putting to your intake? I know it woukd drain on the ground but f the planet right? Lmao. Now that i think about it makes since to have one. The crankcase vent is plumbed to the intake which had a lot of suction. Obviously some oil will br drawn out of the heads up into your intake.

Lmao at all the K&N haters when they are still sucking oil from the engine.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobH
There are some posts in the forum on this subject but after I did my Boss302 upgrade several YouTube videos showed the oil catch cans installed on the Mustang for the Boss install. I went ahead and got one for the passenger side (you can order these from several sources). Anyway below are pictures of the first 6 weeks running with the can installed on a 2014 F150 5.0L. Oil can was almost 3/4 full and on the rag is a bunch of oily thick residue that was on the bottom of the can (most of it got soaked into the rag before I could get a picture of if but is was nasty stuff). When I swapped out the manifold the old one and the throttle body had an oily coating on all the metal and plastic parts - another reason for the can!

Enjoy

BobH

What kind of catch can is that and where/how do you install it?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM
F150 Forum

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyLU26
We sell the RX Oil Separating Catch Can System at RX SPEED WORKS and depending on the vehicle installation differs slightly.

Typically you connect a line to the PCV valve and extract foul blow by vapors into the can for disposal later. You use the engines own vacuum at the intake manifold to pull the vapors out from idle to 3/4 throttle. Beyond that you need a secondary vacuum source which you can acquire in front of the throttle body on a naturally aspirated engine. For a forced induction engine you go to the turbo unit or supercharger. Different types of forced induction devices require different methods of connection.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us any time. This is a very simple explanation.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SparkyLU26
I got the JLT Oil Separator - check around for the best price.

BobH

Quick Reply: Oil catch can and why you may want one - see pics