Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bakflip MX4

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New Bakflip MX4

Well fellas I finally bit the bullet and purchased a new Bakflip MX4. I've been scouring the forums, other forums, websites, etc. for reviews and settled on this one. It was on sale at 4 Wheel Parts for Father's Day, plus another promotion there where they cut the sales tax. Between that and selling my old weather guard tool box this is replacing, I spent about $550 on it. They also installed for free.

A more thorough review will be forthcoming after a couple weeks and we get some rain (presumably), but so far so good. It fits snug, has an updated seal on the tailgate from the one my father in law has on his tundra (G2), and seems solid.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by SG21
Well fellas I finally bit the bullet and purchased a new Bakflip MX4. I've been scouring the forums, other forums, websites, etc. for reviews and settled on this one. It was on sale at 4 Wheel Parts for Father's Day, plus another promotion there where they cut the sales tax. Between that and selling my old weather guard tool box this is replacing, I spent about $550 on it. They also installed for free.

A more thorough review will be forthcoming after a couple weeks and we get some rain (presumably), but so far so good. It fits snug, has an updated seal on the tailgate from the one my father in law has on his tundra (G2), and seems solid.

Didn’t take long. We had a big storm come through last night, got probably 2 inches of rain coming down hard. Little water came in at the tailgate (see pics) but overall it did well. I’m not sure how I could fix the tailgate leak but if anyone has suggestions I’m all ears. On the first picture, the water ran down a bit toward the cab (parked little on an incline). It didn’t leak all the way down there.

Overall, I’m fairly pleased. Probably an 8/10

Old 06-16-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

You’ll never get it to seal 100%, and you can’t really expect it to. There’s just too many moving edges, joints and points of contact. Not that they’re not a good tonneau, because they are. I’ve had on one on my last two trucks, and one on my current truck, and I love them. But people have unrealistic expectations of them, you just can’t totally eliminate all water infiltration on something like this. It’s a little easier on a full topper that doesn’t have so many moving edges and joints, but even then you can still get some infiltration. Considering how hard you said it rained, that’s negligible. Not perfect, but negligible. If you had luggage back there, it would be safe. I fly about thirty weeks a year and put my luggage in the bed under my Bakflip and it never gets wet.

Looking at your first picture, it looks like the seal on the top of tailgate sets high. Mine is flush. And most of the water in the third and fourth pictures, looks like it trailed down the tailgate. If that’s the case, you may benefit from repositioning, to seal better. I personally installed mine and remove it a couple times a year to install my topper. I take a couple trips annually, where I just need more storage space. But I always install/remove myself, and I know if you don’t have it positioned just right, you’ll get some leakage. And besides, I just never trust installers anyways, they don’t have the concern or investment in vehicles, like an owner does.

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 06-16-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Yeah I agree. I know it won’t be totally waterproof but I think repositioning would help a lot in terms of coming through the tailgate. Just drove through another downpour (not as severe as what we got last night) and no water in the bed.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Pretend the wheel wells extend the full length of the bed when it's raining and everything will stay dry.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by SG21
Yeah I agree. I know it won’t be totally waterproof but I think repositioning would help a lot in terms of coming through the tailgate. Just drove through another downpour (not as severe as what we got last night) and no water in the bed.
Good. Maybe it's just moving around some and settling in. Or the hardware's loose and letting it shift. Since someone else installed it, maybe give that possibility a look. There should be three clamps on each side of the bed. If not carefully positioned, the mating grooves in the two halves of the clamp won't line up or on the rail. check that out. Might be some of the issue, maybe. Do you know if they installed the drain tubes in the front of the bed?

Originally Posted by BMack37
Pretend the wheel wells extend the full length of the bed when it's raining and everything will stay dry.
Exactly. I do the same.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

had the exact same results with the one i installed a couple years ago - a little near the edges in really hard rain but nothing to be concerned with. since yours is new one thing i will caution - keep an eye on the rubber seals/flaps on each side along the top. they have a tendency to curl under and if you are fairly active monitoring them in the early stages so they are always flat they will be less of a problem down the road.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by nineball
had the exact same results with the one i installed a couple years ago - a little near the edges in really hard rain but nothing to be concerned with. since yours is new one thing i will caution - keep an eye on the rubber seals/flaps on each side along the top. they have a tendency to curl under and if you are fairly active monitoring them in the early stages so they are always flat they will be less of a problem down the road.
Agreed 100%, I failed to mention that too. I've seen many trucks where the owner doesn't pay attention to this and their seals are pinched, folded under and cracked. And always shut the tailgate first, then lower the lid, especially in the colder months when the seal is stiff and more susceptible to cracking.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice review and solid pictures! The MX4 makes for a great tonneau cover. I've had one on my personal vehicle for the last 3 years.

Quick Reply: New Bakflip MX4