Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monroe + 5100s = Smooth ride

Old 03-06-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Monroe + 5100s = Smooth ride

Hey guys I just wanted to pop in and write this up real quick. I think this goes here but if not I apologize but I wanted to give a write up for this mini project. I haven't had a chance to sit down and type this up so here it goes.
I wanted to replace all the cushions for the spring when I redid my coil assembly with the 5100's.
Started off with Moog springs and same stock components I had(since I was impatient). After I tossed them on they didn't look right and were meant for 2wd suspension. Also since I have the 5.5' bed on my FX4, Moog parts service told me that they do not make any spring meant for the body of my truck. Only for the 96" bed lengths.
SO I went with 2 of Monroe's 181361 Econo-Matic Complete Strut Assembly after contacting them and verifying everything. I didn't need the strut but I wanted all the extra stuff it came with. All together was $88 with tax and vet discount got it locally. Reason being, I wanted the pieces and I could not for the life of me find the lower seat plate and cushion. Had I pieced it out separately I would have been over what I paid with the shipping from any of the other sites.
okay so photo time.

You want the ones with these springs. Exact match for FX4 suspension.

I also redid my level kit to the 2" alum's by HBS. Shifting the Bilstein to 1" to keep the ride height.

The dust cover, that snug fits around the bumper, it came with wasn't a hard plastic but a flexible type blend(felt rubbery). I forget the name of the product its made from. All new rubber bumper, cushions for both top and bottom and new plates.

Using Macpherson compressors I pulled these down. Undid the upper strut nut and yanked out the strut.

You get an all new spring, bumper and dust cover, cushions, plates, and hardware.

Toss in the 5100, line everything up and apply thread lock.

One and one this is just with the 1" from the Bilstein.

Both done.

the left over monroe's

Finished product before I installed.
Yanked out old one and just slid this one in its place. Lined it up and torqued it down. Riding smooth and like a cloud.
I'll post up truck pics when I get back into town and wash her good.

Not sure if this helps anyone but The 5100's use a 17mm vs the monroe uses 15mm hardware. 19ftlbs torque for the upper nut for strut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Monroe + 5100s = Smooth ride