Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mini h1 install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini h1 install

step 1.
After removing the outside lens you should be left with the reflector bowl. Depending on how your reflector bowl is mounted, you can try and remove it. Mine had to small clips I had to mash in on each mounting point pull the reflector bowl out. I wanted to black mine out, so I sanded both the reflector bowl and the insert.
Attached Thumbnails mini h1 install-1.jpg   mini h1 install-2.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM

step 2
I wanted to have a little cleaner look on the actual reflector bowl, so i decided to sand the plastic down where the bulb shield mounted. Also, where the normal h13 bulb twists in, I smoothed the actual notch out to make the projector sit in the bowl a little better. These are not necessary steps, but I think it added to the overall cleanliness of the bowl.
Attached Thumbnails mini h1 install-4.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 PM

step 3
Next, it was time to test fit the projector. I first tried the h13 adapter ring, but you will find this useless due to the fact that the h13 bulb is twisted when turned into the f150 housing. In the supplied hardware with the projectors, you will find two rubber washers, two metal adapter plates, and the lock nut. I found that the thickness of the rubber washers doesnt work with the f150 housings due to the thickness of the housing. I took the bigger of the two metal adapters and cut the three outside mounting tabs off of it and smoothed them out with the dremel.
Attached Thumbnails mini h1 install-2012-02-13_12-56-53_172.jpg   mini h1 install-2012-02-14_13-05-42_80.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 PM

step 4
This is really the only part that required a little cutting on the reflector bowl itself. On the back of the reflector bowl, you will notice two rings, an outer ring and an inner ring. In my installation the only way I could get the lock nut to go down far enough for the bulb holder, was to cut off the inner ring. I took the dremel with a reinforced cut off wheel and slowly went around the inside of the ring to score it. Once I did this and was confident that the cut would be pretty level, I went ahead and finished cutting it off. This cut doesnt have to be completely level, but the closer the better. The bevel on the big washer will help align everything if it isnt level. Also, you will need to make a hole for the hi-beam wires to go through. I drilled mine with the dremel from the back to the front, going in between where the two rings were.

In the first picture you can see the two rings.
Attached Thumbnails mini h1 install-100_0772.jpg   mini h1 install-7.jpg   mini h1 install-8.jpg   mini h1 install-9.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 PM

step 5
With all this done, you should be able to completely test mount both projectors. You will need to make sure the lock nut goes down past the notches in the reflector bowl to allow the bulb holder bracket to sit properly. The picture in this step was taken before I cut the inner ring, and as you can see the lock nut doesnt go down far enough to allow the bulb holder to properly sit. You will most likely need a pair of vise-grips or channel locks to tighten the nut snugly enough to make the projector snug. You dont want to completely tighten it down due to the fact that it still needs to be aligned, but you want it to take reasonable force to rotate it.
Attached Thumbnails mini h1 install-9.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 PM

step 6
If you are going to paint, now is the time to do it. I would strongly recommend an adhesion promoter due to the fact that it is plastic around high temperatures. With the part prepped, follow the directions on the can of adhesion promoter. Try to pick a place inside if you can, with little air flow to minimize trash in the paint. Once the adhesion promoter is done, apply the color within the time designated by the adhesion promoter. Make sure you do light coats, starting with the hard to paint areas first. It is better to take an extra hour or two and paint slow, than have to redo it because of a run. Ensure you have complete coverage of all areas of the insert.
Attached Thumbnails mini h1 install-dscf2259.jpg   mini h1 install-dscf2260.jpg   mini h1 install-dscf2266.jpg   mini h1 install-dscf2268.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 PM

step 7
After all painted pieces have had atleast 24 hours to dry, you can start on final assembly. Be sure not to rush, this will be the final product. If you are using the mini gattling shrouds, you can go ahead and mount them on the projector. Any other shroud, you will have to use the mounting ring, which I have no experience with. Before I did this, I tore apart the projector itself and thoroughly cleaned out any dust or materials that were on the lens of the projector or inside of it. Next, you can mount the projector in the reflector bowl. Remember your order should be projector, reflector bowl, big washer, then lock nut. Once you get both projectors mounted, you can reinstall the reflector bowl in the actual headlight housing. On mine it just had to screw in on one side and used two clips on the other. Once this is done, wait until night time and go align everything. If you are anything like me, this is the part that you will want to rush, but you have to remember this is what makes the install. Take your time. Also, I recommend aligning it, then taking the housings out, wait a day and then recheck it. This will ensure that you didnt rush anything the first time. Once you are 100 percent confident with the cutoffs and leveling, you can take either clear or black epoxy and go around the projector where it meets the reflector bowl. Be careful during this stage due to the face that the clue will eat through the paint if moved once it starts to dry.
Attached Thumbnails mini h1 install-2012-02-14_13-32-26_511.jpg   mini h1 install-2012-02-14_13-32-34_149.jpg   mini h1 install-2012-02-14_13-05-20_458.jpg   mini h1 install-2012-02-14_13-05-28_669.jpg   mini h1 install-dscf2277.jpg  

mini h1 install-dscf2273.jpg  

Last edited by sclariat; 02-24-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM

step 8
Once you have given your epoxy between your projector and the reflector bowl enough time to dry, normally 24 hours, you can finish the reassembly. Start by mounting the insert back into the lens. Once this is completed, using a butyl tape, lay a strip down into the channel on headlight housing. Make sure it is pretty close the width of the channel to ensure proper sealing. Once this is completed, start on the outside edge of the light and slowly start mashing the lens back into the channel. This will not be easy, but take your time with it. Once you get the lens mashed back in, take zip ties and go around the light to ensure it doesnt pull back apart. Do not be stingy with the zip ties either. Once both lights are done, take either a black or clear silicon and go around the joint between the housing and the lens just to be sure it doesnt leak. Once this is dry, normally 24 hours, you are done. Go install and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails mini h1 install-dscf2275.jpg   mini h1 install-dscf2281.jpg   mini h1 install-dscf2283.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Awesome tutorial and excellent workmanship...thanxs for putting the time and effort into this for us.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Sara Palin 2011!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been putting off doing this for way too long. wanna say my parts have been in the attic since... October?

Quick Reply: mini h1 install