Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow 15461 review

Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Magnaflow 15461 review

Magnaflow 15461 cat back exhaust, dual tip/same side exit. Worst fitting exhaust ever. Actually, it didn't even fit. I had to bring it to a muffler shop so they could do some cutting and wielding on it. Magnaflow sends 2 different length pipes depending on which motor you have (5.0 or 3.7) I have the 3.7 and the instructions say to use the shorter of the two pipes. Well the shorter pipe was about 4 inches too short, and the longer one for the 5.0 was about 1.5 - 2 inches too short...and on top of that the hanger on that peice of pipe was wielded on the wrong side. With the way it was shipped, there was absolutely no way I or the muffler shop guy could get it to bolt up. He ended up cutting the hanger off of that section of pipe and re-wielded it once he had it where it needed to go. He also had to wield the muffler to the pipe cause it was too short and the supplied band clamp wasn't enough to hold it together. Also I had to bend one of the exhaust tip brackets on that section of pipe cause there was no way it was going to fit into the hanger the way it was. I am VERY disappointed with the kit and cannot recommend magnaflow cat back exhausts.

How it came. There was no amount of positioning that would get the pipes to line up.

Here you can kinda see where the guy had to cut and re position the hanger

Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Why not just box it up and return it?
Real sad- I thought better of them...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 PM

I wanted to but I was in to deep. I wasn't gonna let it beat me. I had a magnaflow cat back on my Colorado and a focus and they fit perfectly. I emailed magnaflow and sent them the pics. I don't really expect them to do anything but hopefully they'll look into it and fix it so it works for other people.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sixsix
I wanted to but I was in to deep. I wasn't gonna let it beat me. I had a magnaflow cat back on my Colorado and a focus and they fit perfectly. I emailed magnaflow and sent them the pics. I don't really expect them to do anything but hopefully they'll look into it and fix it so it works for other people.
Did MagnaFlow ever make it right? Is there a chance they sent you the wrong kit, or a kit that was mis-labeled?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You ordered the wrong part. part# 15461. I have the same system on my truck, scab, and it fit like a glove, apparently you ordered for the wrong trim, IE scab or screw and either 5.5 or 6.5 bed. Or they didn't offer you the ability to select which model you have or the monkeys in the warehouse grabbed the wrong box, or it was boxed wrong.

Don't assume it's a manufacturer issue. You should have called them to see what's what, it took me all of 2 hr's to do a complete install in my driveway.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/dual-ex...1/#post2778491

No problems with mine at all.

Last edited by RLXXI; 06-18-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You ordered the wrong part. part# 15461. I have the same system on my truck, scab, and it fit like a glove, apparently you ordered for the wrong trim, IE scab or screw and either 5.5 or 6.5 bed. Or they didn't offer you the ability to select which model you have or the monkeys in the warehouse grabbed the wrong box, or it was boxed wrong.

Don't assume it's a manufacturer issue. You should have called them to see what's what, it took me all of 2 hr's to do a complete install in my driveway.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/dual-ex...1/#post2778491

No problems with mine at all.

The box said crew cab/ 5.5ft bed which is what I have.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM

Man I don't know what to tell you but I have a scab with 6.5 bed and V-8, mine came with an extra pipe for the v-6 that I chucked in the scrap bin.

Did you assemble the entire system loosely before you tightened it all down? I had an issue when I installed mine where I pushed the muffler all the way up on the pipe like the oem exhaust and couldn't get the rest of the pipes to fit properly, all I did was slide the muffler back a couple of inches and there was more than enough pipe still inside the mag muffler to grip, the rest of the piping bolted up like it should. It says to put the whole system on before tightening any clamps.

One other note those clamps require an air impact to tighten properly or else they won't hold.

Bad design? No, having the right tools? Yes.

That is the only thing I can think of is you slid the muffler all the way on the pipe coming off the resonator when it need not be. Maybe if I make it up to the Strawberry fest next you can shimmy under my truck and see what I'm talking about.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:58 PM

No man the pipe with the hanger was wrong. No amount of loose fitting would help. The hanger was welded on the wrong side of the pipe. The length was right, the hanger position was wrong.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 PM

I see what your talking about now. You put the front connecting pipe on backwards. I took a pic for you to compare. The oem exhaust front hanger is not really a hanger, it is more of a holder as you see the connecting link is above the frame link, I know it seems odd and I scratched my head about that also but that's how Ford designed it so I wasn't going to argue.

Actually the stock system was perfectly vertical in relation to the hanger frame bracket and exhaust bracket, as you can see the way I hung mine is a little off but I got tired of screwing with it. It's close enough and the exhaust is not hanging lower than stock like I fear your's probably is. (note the pipe off my muffler going forward is going down where yours is going up)

Also note the direction of the front hanger rod is facing rearward in the instructions, your pic has the front hanger rod going forward. Yeah man it's on you not Magnaflow. But I can certainly see where the mistake can be made so don't feel bad, **** happens.

[/URL]

Last edited by RLXXI; 06-18-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 PM

The front pipe is reduced on the inlet side, therefore you cannot install it backwards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnaflow 15461 review