Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOMAX Tri Fold Tonneau Cover review

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LOMAX Tri Fold Tonneau Cover review

Recently, I won a contest on the Forum, and was gifted a LOMAX Tri Fold Tonneau Cover. This is my review.

Firstly, seeing as how I won the cover and would be receiving it free of charge, I expected shipping to take a couple of weeks at least. That wasn't the case. I gave the LOMAX guys my information on Monday morning, and the product unexpectedly showed up at my house on Thursday. Thursday happened to be the only day I had off that week, so it worked out well. I was working on building a bed for my 2 year old that day, so my grandmother happened to be at the house watching him while I worked. Once I completed the work on the bed for the day, I happened to walk by the front door and see where the heroes at UPS had left it.

All that is relevant to the review because upon seeing this, I asked my grandmother if she would stick around for a while longer so I could install my cover. Which, of course, she did. I don't have any photographs of the unboxing or the install because I'm a ding dong, but I realized just how simple it would be upon unboxing. In the box was the cover, folded up, two rails, and some clamps. Installation is as easy as butting the back end of the rails against the front of the truck and using the included clamps to attach the rails to the lip on the top of the bed. Once both rails are in place and clamped, the cover snaps in. Unfold it, check your fit, adjust as needed (I needed no adjustment, fit like a glove the first time.) With the help of Gmaw, who held the rails in place while I attached the clamps (a job which could be done by any household clamping type tool including but not limited to woodworking clamps, vice grips, or chip clips), my cover was installed within 20 minutes.

The clamps and cover are pre fitted with weather stripping, meaning there is no need to tape, attach, or otherwise alter the product out of the box. Instead of any type of locking mechanism, the cover closes by clipping to the rail, and can only be opened by opening the tailgate and unlatching them, meaning that if you choose to lock your tailgate, any belongings stored in the bed will be safe. Theoretically, one could jump on top of the cover and deform it enough to cause it to come open, but I imagine that can be said of almost any type of folding or rolling cover.

As far as performance, I have actually had the opportunity to use the cover in multiple configurations. including closed, 1/3 open, and 2/3 open. Not much to say about that except it works as advertised. Upon unfolding a section, there a locks for each fold, allowing it to lock in place while open, and two straps on the back end that attach to the front of the cover to keep it from flopping around.

A few things to mention before I wrap up:
  • Depending on your taste, you may want a bed cover that sits flush with your bed rails. This does not. It is raised roughly a quarter of an inch. This is not a problem for me, but I can see it bothering some people, so I felt it should be mentioned.
  • I have experienced a couple of rain events, and a few runs through car washes since I've had the LOMAX. A normal rain shower/storm, or hand wash, has proven to hold water out completely, but a car wash, or pressure will allow some seepage. Not enough to call a leak, or even a drip, but I did have water on the walls of the bed, though it wasn't enough to result in any standing water. Again, i wouldn't qualify this even as leakage due to the small amount and the fact that it only occurred under artificial, high pressure water conditions, but felt it should be mentioned.
  • Lastly, while I told myself I wouldn't allow it to happen, I'm already throwing junk that I don't need right now back there and delaying to get rid of it because out of sight, out of mind, right?
  • When installing, make sure you tighten the clamps way down, and ensure that the teeth are latched. The day after I installed, I had some trouble getting right side of the cover to latch onto the rail. This is because the rear most clamp had come loose. I'm not sure if I didn't tighten it enough, or didn't line it up right, but I know it was operator error and not design defect because upon re installing it, I have had no more issues.
The thing looks great and works as advertised. Install was a breeze. Minimum leaking, and very easy to open and reconfigure.

There are less expensive covers out there to be had, I have friends that have them. Judging simply by what they've told me, the quality does not match the LOMAX. If you're going to invest in a Tonneau Cover, do some research and at least look into the LOMAX. In all honesty, had I not won it, I would have likely purchased something else. That being said, I will be recommending this to anyone with an interest in a cover, and if I ever have to change trucks, I'll be purchasing another one, if this one doesn't fit.

I give it a 5/5. It costs a little more than some others out there, but being built from aluminum adds an extra layer of quality, both aesthetically and functionally to the laminate and other materials that some others use.

Right after install.

Getting ready for little man's birthday. If you look closely, you can see him practicing for when he takes my truck over in 14 years or so.

Had to trim the hedges, so I folded it back all the way and loaded it down. Had to make 2 trips because I mutilated a couple bushes. House looks a ton better

Cleaned it up and grabbed a photo.

Starting little dude's bed before the LOMAX got here.

Had to grab one of it parked at work because, reasons, I guess.

Last edited by MakinGasoline; 08-09-2018 at 02:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MakinGasoline:
BucknBronco (09-28-2020), CapnMorgan (12-02-2019), urbino (01-23-2020)
Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Solid review! The cover looks great on your truck. The LOMAX has been a huge hit since it's release earlier this year. As the OP mentioned, it's very easy to install and quite versatile. Thanks for taking the time to provide pictures, I'm sure many will find it useful.
The following users liked this post:
davidm22 (10-17-2022)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Member at large...

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Love my LOMAX.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/new-l...talled-372081/
Old 09-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice write-up, thanks! And congrats on the win! I saw the win announcement and was super disappointed that I somehow missed the signup period. Guess I need to come here more often.

I'm actively considering a cover for my 2017 SuperCrew regular bed. 2 questions
1) In photo number 5 (cleaned up for a photo) near the first fold it appears to be sitting lower than the rest of the cover. Does it sag there or it just not showing well in the photo?
2) It looks like there might be full access to the stake pockets. Is that right? I'm considering ways to have a cover and the option of a rack for times when I need it.

Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by goathead
Thanks for the link to your install. You have had it for more ethan 19 months now. How is it holding up?
Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered one. I'm excited to see how it looks.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Man, I don't know how I missed this a year ago. I wasn't ignoring you, I promise.

It was sagging there in the picture, I had to go back and re tighten the clamp in that area.

I'm sure it's irrelevant at this point to you (sorry again about that), but after 2 years and change, my only complaint is that I do occasionally have to go in and re-tighten and maybe move the clamps on the rails to prevent that kind of sag look. It's held up wonderfully, though. Still no leaks, and no sun fading.

In fact, the only visible change is that I've scratched up the finish on the front driver's side of it because I set my giant mug there every time I get in and out of the truck. After 2 years, I'd still give it a 5/5
Old 11-20-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by tgb123
Just ordered one. I'm excited to see how it looks.
I know it's been about 6 months. Hope yours is treating you as well as mine has treated me.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks absolutely astonishing! It looks a little bit like Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold ( one from this top over here: https://truckcoverexpert.com/best-tr...onneau-covers/ ), or it's just for me? It's really perfect for me cause I love to camp, go on long road trips, and love to move a lot. It's reliable tri-fold for any type of climate, weather, etc.

Last edited by junior88; 12-09-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: LOMAX Tri Fold Tonneau Cover review