Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling Kit recommendations and info please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kit recommendations and info please

I could use some info from you guys. I am considering a modest 1.5-2” leveling kit, mostly for the looks and slightly larger tires. Nothing too crazy but since I have the max tow package my back end sits pretty high.
What I really want to know is the best brands and products to achieve this 1.5-2” leveling up front. What I am most concerned about is that I want a product that is the absolute best option for reducing pressure, damage, etc on the truck. I truly believe ford built the truck like it is for a reason so really don’t like changing a whole lot but I am really after that level look. Therefore I care far less about price and care most about least destructive, best performing option. I don’t entirely understand the difference between the different types of leveling kits so an explanation of why you think your pick is the best and how it works would really help. I also tow a travel trailer fairly often if that makes a difference. Thanks
Old 02-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

We could use some info on your truck too... year..4WD or 2WD. Billies 5100 would work out great for you no matter what truck you have..
Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 AM

2015 F-150
3.5L ecoboost
max tow package
currently all stock with 20” oem wheels
275/55R/20 Hankook tires.
Photo included (don’t mind the mutt, just realized I don’t have any good photos of my truck....what a shame)
Id like to step up just a little in tires when mine are worn. This leveling kit is all I would do to suspension. No desire to lift truck any more than leveling. Will pay money for the best option to limit stress on truck. I also would prefer to keep just a little rake rather than over compensate and have a higher front end.

Last edited by KirkdL9; 02-07-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Park on a level solid surface. Make sure all tires are aired up to the proper spec, then measure from the center of the wheel (hub) to the center of the wheel well. Subtract the front measurement from the back and that will tell you what will make your truck nearly level. Then decide how much rake you would like to leave and get just about any metal (usually aluminum) leveling kit. After thats installed you'll need to get an alignment job.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 PM

I appreciate the info but I am mostly interested in which types of kits and which brands offer the best method of limiting stress on the front end. I’d like to better understand the differences if different types as well as the most tried, trued, and tested type and brand that fits that criteria. I am not after the cheapest option but rather the most lasting
Old 02-07-2018, 02:28 PM

Ok sorry I misunderstood. A leveling kit is simply a block of plastic, metal, or aluminum that bolts on to the top of the front suspension. IMO plastic ones are cheap, metal ones are heavy, and aluminum ones are the way to go. You will want one that is made out of a solid billet no welded piece ones. The only real difference in stress to the truck is dependent on how much you raise it. I know for the 11 gen trucks it's not recommenced to go over 2.5" as it put too much angle on the CV joints and other suspension parts. I can tell you what the recommenced height is for your newer truck but I'm sure going level or a little less would be just fine and not cause any real stress. I'm sure someone will chime in with more information but IMO if you go level or a little less and a solid aluminum billet then the ONLY difference in level kits are 100% just the price and name on it.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Thank you very helpful. Follow up question: So what’s the difference between a suspension spacer like you named and the Bilstein 5100 entire shock absorber like the user above suggest? What are the pros and cons to the 2 different types?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:19 PM

A spacer wont change your ride quality. It uses the factory suspension and just adds height. The Blistein the full spring and all. It would probably improve your ride quality and some are adjustable so you could do 1.5" or 2" or 2.5" whatever you like best. The leveling suspension like the Blisteins is probably the best solution. I wasn't thinking of a leveling suspension I was just thinking spacer. As far as leveling suspension goes there will be differences in ride quality and build quality. Hopefully you will get some responses from some folks who have the different brands of leveling suspension on their trucks.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just remember, leveling the front when unloaded will mean rear sag when loaded. Airbags on the rear or add a leaf will probably be needed if towing often. I would probably go with airbags myself because you could run lower pressure when unloaded to retain a more stock like ride.
The following 2 users liked this post by blueice:
Lowcrawler (02-20-2018), techrep (02-08-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

There are different leveling kits most 2.0" coilovers will level the front of your truck with the rear. I added an add a leaf kit and fox 2.0 in the rear of my truck to initially maintain a slight rake for towing. Realistically the added suspension made my truck tow so much better. The rear had zero squat with a loaded down dual axle uhaul with my Harley, tools, etc. filling it. I'll never recommend a plastic, steel or aluminum cup kit of any kind as they stress the factory parts to extreme limits without adding anything other than front clearance. Stage3motorsports.com has a good selection of 2.0 coilovers at very competitive rates under their leveling kit section.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit recommendations and info please