Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling Kit Makers - The Good and Bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leveling Kit Makers - The Good and Bad

Just wanted to get some input from people on what are the better or worse manufacturers of leveling kits. I had a 2.5" HellBent Steel Kit on mine and had nothing but trouble with it, now I will not jump right to the kit as being the source of the issues I had but it may have been the installer I had do it. He did say he had to use a pry bar on the a-arm to get the upper and lower ball joint to get close enough to get the castle nut to thread.. who knows

Anyway, what brand of leveling kit have you had installed, how long did you have experience with it, and whats your overall opinion of it?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zone 2" kit on a 2011 XLT Screw. I've had it on for about 6 weeks. After initial install the truck measured 1/32 lower in the front but I'd still call that level. After alignment I think the front came down ever so slightly. Honestly I couldn't be happier with it. No issues. Very cost effective and easy install
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM

I've been very pleased with my 2.5" ReadyLift leveling kit. No issues at all.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by boiler
Just wanted to get some input from people on what are the better or worse manufacturers of leveling kits. I had a 2.5" HellBent Steel Kit on mine and had nothing but trouble with it, now I will not jump right to the kit as being the source of the issues I had but it may have been the installer I had do it. He did say he had to use a pry bar on the a-arm to get the upper and lower ball joint to get close enough to get the castle nut to thread.. who knows

Anyway, what brand of leveling kit have you had installed, how long did you have experience with it, and whats your overall opinion of it?
Having to use a pry bar to get the a-arm down on these trucks isn't uncommon at all. In fact, I've never seen one I didn't have to use one on. I've installed dozens of these things on F150s and I believe every brand I've ever used needed a pry bar.

In short, that has nothing to do with a good or bad install.

Buck
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM

I knew it sounded a bit rough but if you consider the robustness of those parts you're working with, requiring that much leverage to make these parts, which weren't intended from the factory, fit together really isn't uncommon. That part didn't surprise me, I just know that I've had several hefty repair bills and my mechanic has directly told me it is a result of the leveling kit or the installation of it.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

What problems have you had?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Had a hell bent steel one, its a metal block, cant really blame much on it, i think its a bad way to level a truck. Made mine ride like crap..suspension felt like it was dropping out from under the truck off road...hated it, replaced with rancho quicklift extended struts, much better. Had the 2.5 inch leveling kit.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 11rangerZ520
What problems have you had?
I had three CV boots rip, one on the right, two on the left, ball joints went out "prematurely", thats all I can remember without directly looking at my records.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 PM
2012 blue stx 4x4 5.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had rough country 2.5 inch installed last weekend and now my truck is actually squating on level ground and i have no weight at all in the back, I'm a little irritated, anyone else had this issue?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 PM
0.9% is for suckers!

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by colt89
I just had rough country 2.5 inch installed last weekend and now my truck is actually squating on level ground and i have no weight at all in the back, I'm a little irritated, anyone else had this issue?

I hate to ask, but what was the measurements before you did the level kit?

Reason I ask is although these trucks are the same, they do differ even side to side on the same truck.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit Makers - The Good and Bad