Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Flickering on one side

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HID Flickering on one side

Hey everyone, I have a 2012 FX4 that I just installed some HID headlights on. So I know there are lots of posts for HID flickering issues, but I can't seem to find any good answers that apply for me.
So I bought a 6000k Lumens HID kit that has the harness and ballasts and lights. It's run straight from the battery and only has the passenger side connected to the truck's wiring.

The problem:
The passenger side light flickers and isn't quite the same color as the drivers side (which doesn't flicker at all). This seems to happen all the time, even more when the light warms up. The harness or ballast buzz when they are flickering ( I can't tell which one because they are placed close together). I thought it was the ground so I moved the ground to a solid piece that should be better. That didn't seem to work.

The basic wiring for this is there are two wires that hook up to the positive (one of them has a fuse box with 2 fuses in it). Then there are 3 ground wires, two on the passenger side and one on the drivers side.

I moved everything around before (I discovered that one ballast didn't work so I bought another one to replace it). When I moved everything around before I never noticed a flicker and both lights had worked on both sides with the one working ballast. Hopefully that makes sense. Just FYI, the new ballast I got is also on the passenger side. I'd like to hope that my luck isn't bad enough to have two ballasts not working.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dang I'm sure that's frustrating. When I installed mine, I had a similar issue, which was the result of a bad ground. Being that you checked that, I wonder if, since the connection to factory harness and the issue are both on the passenger side, that that connection is not complete. When I installed mine, the HID harness did not fit snugly into the factory harness, and I had to do a little modifying to get it to fully fit together. Is it a hi-low kit, or just low beams?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a hi-low kit. It has the high/low connections that are taped off (which the truck doesn't need) That passenger side does have two ground cables that I have grounded together.. could that be an issue at all? I didn't check the ground on the drivers side either, maybe I'll do that too.
I will go over and clean all the connections just to make sure. But I wonder if that color difference means that the bulb is going.
The connection to the factory harness didn't firmly click into place, but I have full control of the high/low on both lights. And I did tape it together just to make sure they stayed.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's weird! The harness on mine has a positive to the battery, a ground at each ballast, and of course one connection to the factory harness! I hope that the bulb difference isnt the sign of a bad one, but I'm not sure what else would cause it! I know you've checked it, but I found all the problems on mine were caused by bad grounds.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:28 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

What brand are they?

Quick Reply: HID Flickering on one side