Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which deflector should i buy?
Ford OEM Parts
30.00%
Weather Tech
70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide on Weather Tech vs. OEM Ford Window/Bug Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Just here for the MPG's

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts

Question Help me decide on Weather Tech vs. OEM Ford Window/Bug Deflectors

After searching for a few days I’ve found a few good threads on the Weather Tech deflectors but they are pretty much a hate em or love em item. Some people complain about the noise while others say they are fine. The biggest complaint seems to be fitment. I would really like to just order all my guards through them but will I regret it? I have heard the OEM Ford deflectors are great, but is it true they are just stick on?? I feel like that’s not an item I was taped on my truck. I would like to have them locked into something. Also the Ford OEM parts are less expensive. Please help me decide whether to go with the Ford or Weather Tech ones, I appreciate any help ya’ll can give me.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

I have the weathertech,and love them. Yes they r pricey, but I like the cleaner fit better. They don't make any noise on the highway. I have had very few issues w the safety window feature bc of then. Just once in a blue moon. Really no complaints here.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perfect timing, i just installed mine Sunday.

I love that it is low profile compared to my 2005 F150, the WT is far less bulky than the OEM one on my old truck.

Installation was simple, Fit was NOT as good as i expect. Facing the truck from the front the drivers side of the bug shield is great. The passenger side is not. It protrudes out a bit more and is noticable. The bug shield is centered, i had another person look at it and ask them if im going nuts...i wasnt. I suppose it could effect ether side, for me its the passenger side.

If i try to push in the passenger side then the it pushes the bug shield away from the fastening point under the hood. I would need to install a small spacer. I just may do that, its bugging me...pun intended.

Overall i love my New Digital fit floor mats and i am pretty happy with the bug shield but fit is a tad off.

I would have to go look at the OEM one to see if i would perfer it over the WT, my experience is with the WT and an older F150 model OEM.

The WT is also installed using double sided tape with 1 screw point at each outside RT and LF.

Last edited by AS45-70; 11-01-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not really sure if you are talking about Bug deflector Front or Window Vent shades. It sounds like Vent Shades and if it is ive had the best luck with EGR. Did you look at EGR? Thats what I have installed on mine. No noise, total coverage, and great fit. You will have some reversing of the window until it seats well , but well worth it. If you are talking bug shield, I havent found a Bug Shield that works since the early 80's. I put the invisable bra on the front to protect the finish of the paint and on the rocker panels.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

I have "Lund" on my 08... I have bug shield/window vents/back glass vent/and wiper cowl. Love them all
Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Just here for the MPG's

Received 252 Likes on 214 Posts

I have the weathertech,and love them. Yes they r pricey, but I like the cleaner fit better. They don't make any noise on the highway. I have had very few issues w the safety window feature bc of then. Just once in a blue moon. Really no complaints here.
Was getting them to fit in the windows difficult or if i honestly do it carefully should i be ok? All i have heard is install complaints but im still leaning towards these!!

The WT is also installed using double sided tape with 1 screw point at each outside RT and LF.
Are the OEM ones all tape?

Did you look at EGR?

Havent seen that brand yet, hows the install and are they all 3m tape attached?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The EGRs have adhesive on the inner face that would fit against the door frame. They fit in along the window channel along the felt. So between the door frame and the felt. Great fit hold well. I have had the EGRs on three F150s now and no problems. No metal piece to hold them into the door at the bottom. Fits nice and neat. Very clean.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

They r extremely easy to install. The guy talking about all tape is talking about the bug guard in front of hood. The rears since they r completely straight use tape, but the fronts stay put very well due to the curvature of window.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

The weathertech's are high quality and hold up. You may have issues with the auto roll up feature but you can get correct this, well it worked for me. I had to do this three times before it quit auto roll down from the deflectors. Taken from click me and go to post 13. Also, be careful when inserting the front weathertechs as to not chew up the weatherstrip at the bottom of the window by the mirror. It says to rest the deflector on a certain section of the window while installing, mine slipped off and chewed the weatherstrip up a little bit, not bad but none the less, you don't want to do this if you can avoid it.

"Positive about the 20 cycles. Not necessarily 20 consecutive cycles though, it could be over the course of a month if that's how long it takes a particular customer to cycle the window 20 times. I'm the product engineer for the window reg. It is difficult to tell, but the regulator has a soft stop feature, when you use express down, the regulator stops~ 40mm before mechanical stall, supposed to eliminate the thud at the bottom. If you use X-down, press the down switch 3 times in a row after it stops moving and it will go all the way down. Under normal circumstances, the window will go all the way down to its mechanical hard stall every 20 cycles to relearn where that position is, to compensate for wear over the life of the vehicle. This is true for closing as well, to an extent.

If you de-initialize the system (one-touch becomes inactive) then re-initialize, the window motor will reset and should learn the characteristics of that door at the time it is initialized. The problem with the in-channel shades is that the window motor is not expecting to slow down at a different rate and reverses, thinking that the extra effort is an obstacle. If you re-initialize, it should see that the window slows down earlier/ at a different rate and will expect that behavior from that point on. The algorithm is a little more complicated than that, there are other things that it takes into account that could prevent it from working properly even if it is re-initialized."
The following users liked this post:
bladezr1 (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Also the I believe the weathertech bug deflector needs to have holes drilled, don't quote me on that. I have the Ford oem and it does not require any drilling and is fairly straight forward to install, but the instructions are not very clear. If you think about it and have some intelligence you will have no problems installing the Ford bug deflector.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on Weather Tech vs. OEM Ford Window/Bug Deflectors