Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard tri-fold tonneau decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Hard tri-fold tonneau decision

I'm looking for a hard, folding tonneau cover for my 2018 5.5 bed. A friend has the Extang 2.0 that sits on top of the bed. However, I am leaning more toward one that fits flush with the bed like the Gator FX3 or the BAKflip FiberMax.

Would appreciate any input from you all that own(ed) either of these covers. Thanks
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

Replied to your request from other thread...

You might also want to take a look at the Lomax...

Luke Kyle - Owner
Truck Alterations
http://www.truckalterations.com
luke@truckalterations.com
Old 01-14-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Never heard of Lomax. How does it compare to the other BAK and Gator? I'm looking for one that has something other than aluminum on the top surface so it doesn't scratch as easy. Does the Lomax have this? Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a BAK on mine and love it. Flush is the way to go.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not mine, but my pops just had a bakflip G2 installed on his chevy. I've got a truck cover usa rolling cover and was impressed by the G2(that was less than half the price). It sits very flush and the independent locking panels make it seem very solid. The ability to open and close the tailgate while the cover is shut is very nice for a trifold cover!

The following users liked this post:
Snakester01 (04-04-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

The BAKFlip Fibermax makes a great choice if you're looking to steer away from an aluminum model. It features a fiberglass reinforced polymer top panel, which makes it much more dent and impact resistant than an aluminum cover. I personally owned a Fibermax on my last truck, however am running a MX4 on my current rig now. If you're still in the market for one, feel free to shoot us a message and we can hook you up on forum pricing!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:39 AM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had two Advantage Hard Hats with the premium convertible material. 4 clips. Yes, sits on top, but easy to remove alone, and reasonably secure. I'm sure the others are good too.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:48 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

My first Bakflip was on one of my '14 F150s, it was the one with the vinyl skin cover, over the panels. I really liked it, but always thought it was kinda' heavy. Bought my '18 back in July and it took a while to find a new one for this truck. I called Bafflip and found out that they discontinued that model, but the rep gave me the part number and said that I may be able to find a dealer that still had one in stock. Sure enough, I finally found a dealer in Ohio that had one left. So when I was passing through, I stopped and picked it up. The very first thing I noticed, was how much lighter it was. At first I was apprehensive that it may not be as robust as my first one, but I've had it on for over six months now and it's been great. I know some people have had complaints of them leaking or bowing, but mine's been perfect.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,143 Posts

I have the Ford Backflip version .. i love how it sits flush.. my only complaint is the rubber at the end sometimes it folders under so i have to close the tail gate first.. straighten the rubber then close the cover .. as you can see in the second pic its bent

Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by doug97gxe
I have the Ford Backflip version .. i love how it sits flush.. my only complaint is the rubber at the end sometimes it folders under so i have to close the tail gate first.. straighten the rubber then close the cover .. as you can see in the second pic its bent
There's actually supposed to be a decal on the underside that states, "To prevent damage to seal, close lid only after closing tailgate". It's been the same decal on both of my Bakflips, and I've also seen it on the Ford-branded versions, made by Bakflip. The only real difference is the Ford logo/decal.

My FIL has the Ford-branded version and he's destroyed the seal on his, from never closing the tailgate first. But then again, he's like a bull in a china shop with pretty much everything. His truck has fewer miles than my primary truck and it looks like it's been threw a dozen hailstorms, with raccoons living in the cab.

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 01-16-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard tri-fold tonneau decision