Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going Catless?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Going Catless?

im putting a SIDO exhaust on with a magnaflow muffler. Will removing my catts make the truck too loud? and will it decrease or increase performance?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deanofay
im putting a SIDO exhaust on with a magnaflow muffler. Will removing my catts make the truck too loud? and will it decrease or increase performance?
I don't think you should mess with the emissions equipment. I took out the resonator, made all the pipe 3" in diam. and put in a Magnaflow and now a Spintech. The Magnaflow was too loud for my liking at highway speeds. If you're not sure whether the muffler will be too loud, ask the shop to use FASTERNERS instead of welding. I had my Magnaflow welded thinking I'd keep it for life and ended up cutting it out and putting in the Spintech
Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

Prepare yourself for a beating, a lot of people here don't like it when you remove cats, or even mufflers...

Try the muffler alone first then if you want it louder get high flow cats, and being that we don't know what you drive you might actually have 4 of them and if thats the case you can remove 2 and remain legal
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by azmidget91
Prepare yourself for a beating, a lot of people here don't like it when you remove cats, or even mufflers...

Try the muffler alone first then if you want it louder get high flow cats, and being that we don't know what you drive you might actually have 4 of them and if thats the case you can remove 2 and remain legal
i drive a 2003 4.6l f150 with a k@n cold air intake and sct programmer witha leveing kit with 305/70/r16 falken wild peaks. People say that high flow cats are no better then stock cats and that you will see no performance gains.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

You will not see performance gains by removing them either

But yes your truck has 4 cats, removing the rear ones will not effect your emissions and will make your truck louder. There is no noticeable performance to be made through changing/removing cats
Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Dedicated F-150 Lover

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

on my truck i did a custom true dual exhaust with magnaflow mufflers and 3in stainless rolled tips after having this done i decided in some jackassary to remover the cats..... lets just say it sounded good at an idle nice and deep real similar to a straight pipe, but for everyday driving it was ungodly loud at 2200 rpm on the interstate and the loss of fuel milage it wasnt worth it so in the end i turned a simple clean 300 dollar custom exhaust into $600 exhaust by the initial work and parts then removing the cats to reinstalling them..... i dont recomend it unless u like the sound of a NASCAR lol
Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Taking off your cats will kill your mileage and wont give you any more power. If you want more power put on smaller tires.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Jordan

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Might as well leave them, otherwise you may spend a lot of money and it be too loud for you. No proformance gains, nor losses. Chrysler air raid siren came from the factory straight piped, and had to work to keep thousands of people safe. that's your fact of the day!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going Catless?