Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Metal Jacket Bedliner Sprayed In

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Full Metal Jacket Bedliner Sprayed In

I just had the '06 Screw's bed sprayed with the Full Metal Jacket bedliner this afternoon.

I got a great deal since I found a coupon online that was probably outdated... but the company was good enough to honor it. I drove off their lot after paying $415.

The liner looks great. I got to meet the installer and get a feel for what type of job I was going to get. Juan, the installer, even pounded out some dents for me prior to spraying. In short, I'm very happy with the job he did.

I'd post pictures but honestly, it looks like every other sprayed in bed liner out there. Right now, it's shiny black. I opted not to get the UV protectant topcoat since I'll be slapping a bedcover on it soon enough.

Anway, I just thought I'd post and let people know I have the Full Metal Jacket and I'll provide updates every so often to let y'all know how it's holding up.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:52 AM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

Congrats on getting the bedliner.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 PM

So, here's a four month update. The liner is still holding up well. It's seen light usage... yard waste, a few dump runs for my buddy doing a kitchen remodel, furniture moves, a few motorcycles, etc.

Most of the glossiness has faded from sun exposure. The sides of the bed closer to the bed rails are still glossy, but the flat portion of the bed is dull now from UV.

I'm still very happy with the liner. It's holding up well enough for me. I finally ordered my bedcover so the fading should be done.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's more info regarding Full Metal Jacket (made by SPI): It's a 100% aromatic polyurea product which is not the best choice for a spray-on truck bedliner. A better choice is a polyurea/polyurethane hybrid. Both polyurea and polyurethane give the bedliner desirable properties. For example, polyurea raises the tear strength and temperature tolerance, but polyurethane as 2 to 3 times the abrasion resistance of polyurea. Polyurea is harder than polyurethane and as you can tell, your bedliner is hard as a freaking rock! It's too hard and won't hang on to the payload very well and will not absorb impacts as well as a hybrid. Since FMJ is aromatic, it's sensitive to UV light from the sun and will fade over time.

Other brands offer hybrids as well as aliphatic (won't fade) hybrids.

I'm not saying FMJ is a bad product, I'm saying it's not the best choice for a spray-on bedliner.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, they do not offer a nationwide lifetime warranty like some of the other brands. So, if your dealer goes out of business, you have no warranty.

Last edited by Stage4; 08-03-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Where were you four months ago? LOL Yeah, I read that the hybrids are best but the FMJ was half the cost and I was actually looking for a liner that wasn't too rough. It was a choice between a Bedrug and te FMJ and this time I opted for the spray in.

I dont use the bed for work or anything too severe so I wanted protection for everyday use. I really dislike drop in liners because of the rubbing. I've used the do-it-yourself roll in liners with ok results, but I wanted somethig professional and less rough. I also considered the Rino liner, but it was a little too grippy and just a bit more expensive in my area. So... I decided to give FMJ a try since the price was right.

I'm not associated with FMJ in anyway, and just wanted to give an opinion on the liner in case anyone else was considering it. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't worry about, you'll be fine, but do put that tonneau cover on.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The liner looks great. Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.

Quick Reply: Full Metal Jacket Bedliner Sprayed In