Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front and Rear Camera Install w/ Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts
Default Front and Rear Camera Install w/ Pictures

This won't be a complete write up of all the steps taken, simply because I forgot to take a lot of photos during the install, but hopefully it will be a good general guide.

Installed on 2011 F-150 STX 5.0 V8

I wanted to install a camera in my tailgate handle and I went round and round about what to buy. There are a lot of options, this is just what worked best for me.

Rear view mirror (needed one anyway) w/ LCD monitor:
Amazon.com: AUTO-VOX Dual Video Inputs 4.3" Auto Adjusting Brightness Car Rear View Mirror for Toyota Honda Nissan Mazda Hyundai Kia Ford Pickup and Most Car Model: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: AUTO-VOX Dual Video Inputs 4.3" Auto Adjusting Brightness Car Rear View Mirror for Toyota Honda Nissan Mazda Hyundai Kia Ford Pickup and Most Car Model: Cell Phones & Accessories

It installs using the existing bracket. Feeds along the headliner and onto the passenger side. I found the length of the positive wire to be a bit short and added 4" of wire to reach the fuse box.

I installed it using an add a fuse:
Amazon.com: HitCar Car Vehicle Circuit Blade Style ATM APS ATT Low Profile Mini Fuse Holder Fuse Tap With 5AMP Fuse (Small Size): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: HitCar Car Vehicle Circuit Blade Style ATM APS ATT Low Profile Mini Fuse Holder Fuse Tap With 5AMP Fuse (Small Size): Cell Phones & Accessories

The truck uses mini LP fuses, but you can't fit a LP add a fuse into the fuse slot, you need one with longer legs. I have 2 add a fuse's installed and used 2 fuse slots between 31-36 (I will get the exact numbers and edit this.) They turn on only when the truck turns on.

Here is the camera I decided on:
Amazon.com: COOLINT Mini 360 Degree Rotatable Car Multifunction Backup Rear View HD Color Night Vision Camera with Distance Guide Line Switcher: Car Electronics Amazon.com: COOLINT Mini 360 Degree Rotatable Car Multifunction Backup Rear View HD Color Night Vision Camera with Distance Guide Line Switcher: Car Electronics

It comes with the hole saw you need in order to install it, runs video off an RCA cable and can be used for front or rear facing camera and has the option of guidelines or no guidelines. That, along with the fact that it's 480 TVL (maximum you can get from analog) is why I picked it; I'm using the same camera for my front facing camera install.

It comes with a red wire that runs inside the RCA cable, my assumption is folks who install this to a stereo use it as their stereo's signal switch. I however installed this camera to an actual switch and ran that wire to a fuse panel box I added in behind the glove box.

I bought the 16mm switch (mini):
Amazon.com: UlincosĀ® Latching Push Button Switch U16C2 1NO1NC SPDT ON/OFF Black Metal Shell with Blue LED Ring Suitable for 16mm Mounting Hole: Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: UlincosĀ® Latching Push Button Switch U16C2 1NO1NC SPDT ON/OFF Black Metal Shell with Blue LED Ring Suitable for 16mm Mounting Hole: Industrial & Scientific

Here is the fuse box panel I added:
Amazon.com: OLS PSZACCEPS051H 6-Way LED Illuminated Blade Fuse Box with Cover: Automotive Amazon.com: OLS PSZACCEPS051H 6-Way LED Illuminated Blade Fuse Box with Cover: Automotive

I ran an 8 gauge wire from the battery, through the rubber grommet on the passenger side firewall, pulled the side panel cover off the dash and used some tongs to grab the wire.

For the front facing camera I didn't want to drill into the bumper and am fabricating a bracket to use behind my grille:

My plan is to put two small rubber grommets in the smaller holes, then use black zip ties to secure it to my grille.

Will update when I've made some more progress.
The following users liked this post:
2014 F150 Lariat (03-26-2017)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:51 PM

Finished up the install today; took way longer than it should have as I had a heck of time running my wires and getting the RCA through the firewall where It would come out someplace visible.

Because the camera is extra wide view it does pull in some of the grill and lower bumper, but it helps with parking and ensuring no small critters or children have wandered to the front.
The following 2 users liked this post by FerdinandF150:
2014 F150 Lariat (03-26-2017), waderj71 (04-06-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you using the switches to go between the front and rear cameras?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Yes. The rear view mirror accepts two video feeds, though I did have to buy a female to female adapter for the secondary cable. The left switch turns on the front facing and the right switch turns on the back.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:57 PM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Wrong thread, sorry.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

How is the picture quality of the rearview camera? I have an aftermarket system out of my last truck I have yet to install but I'm not a fan of the camera, picture quality is fine but it is a 1x1x1 square box camera and I don't know where or how to mount it. I like your rear mount. Could you post any more pics of the picture quality in the rearview?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:34 PM

I'll try to get some more later today, but it's 480TVL which is the max you can get. I have the Esky w/o guidelines on the hatchback and it's 420TVL and I can tell the difference.
This one isn't so great at night, but I don't know if that has more to do with the reverse lights being not the best, or that on the hatchback the reverse lights are closer to the camera and that helps. I'll have to do more extensive testing.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Ruffs150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the picture with the camera mounted in the handle and not lower
Old 04-25-2016, 12:35 PM

I think it works well. You have to play with your distances a little bit to get a feel for when your bumper is close to something. The camera does lower down a tad more, but then it begins to hide the lens and you can see that in the image.

I placed a recycle bin behind the truck.

Here is what it looks like in the mirror:

Old 05-26-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does your truck have the compass feature and, if so, did you lose it after installing this mirror?

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Camera Install w/ Pictures