Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster Super 50 doesn't sound the same

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Flowmaster Super 50 doesn't sound the same

HI guys. I recently upgraded my 2013 F150 XLT 2wd to a 2016 F150 XLT 4wd. Both have the 5.0, but the 2016 version added a few more horses. Since I liked the sound of the Flowmaster 50 so much on the old truck, I decided I'd stick with it, but change to SIDO instead of SISO.

Have to say, I'm not as impressed with the Super 50 as I was on my previous F150 5.0. It had much deeper sound, and sounded a lot better in my opinion.

Videos are here:

2013 SISO:
) .

2016 SIDO:

So here are the differences:
2013 F150 5.0 w/ Super 50 3/3 SISO with a 3" front pipe and 3" resonator, and stock 3" exhaust pipe. 12" Stainless Steel tip

2016 F150 5.0 w/ Super 50 3/2.5 SIDO with stock front pipe and resonator (combination of 2.5 and 2.75 piping) and 2.5 in exhaust pipe. 8" black chrome tips

Maybe if I had never had the Super 50 before I'd be happy with it now, but knowing how much better it used to sound is depressing. I have to say that I do appreciate the fact that there is absolutely no cabin drone.

I called Flowmaster to get their opinion on whether using a 3in front pipe might restore the "deepness" of the sound and they said "probably so" and also suggested possibly moving to a 50 Delta series. I suspect that would increase the loudness (and possibly introduce a drone) as well, and I'm happy with the "loudness" of the Super 50.

Looking for your opinions and hopefully experience here. Would putting a 3" front pipe with resonator on my 2016 increase the "deepness" of the tone? Just wondering if the fact that it is still going to exit through the 2.5 in rear exhaust pipes going to negate the bigger front pipe. I guess I should also ask if anyone has experience from going from SISO to SIDO and then noticing a sound tone difference (with the same muffler that is).

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 PM

Tried Flowmaster one more time to get their opinion and this time the guy told me changing the front pipe wouldn't make a different, but changing the 2 exhaust pipes to 3in would. Trying to take the most cost effective approach to this project and not quite sure where to start. Replacing the front pipes means a new 3in resonator cost. Replacing the rear seems cheaper, but will be getting exact quote soon.

My hesitation is that most all duals that I see for the F150 5.0 have 2.5 in exhaust pipes. Is there a problem with using 3in exhaust pipes on an axle back dual exhaust?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Decided replace mid-pipe with 3in pipe. So now I have the stock front pipe and resonator, but then a 3in pipe back to the 3in,, 2.5out SIDO Flowmaster Super 50.

I think this has done what I want. Here's a warm start clip, which isn't quite the same as the previous cold start, but the sound is obviously deeper with the new 3in mid-pipe.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Super 50 doesn't sound the same