Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exerior window protection

Old 11-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exerior window protection

Looking for anyone that has experience with exterior windshield films. Looking to protect the windshield on my F150 once it arrives in January. Current Tacoma is nearly 3 years old with 33k miles and the windshield is pitted pretty bad with some small rock chips. Looking to prevent this on the new truck so anyone's input is greatly appreciated! Happy thanksgiving to everyone as well!
Old 11-23-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 645 Likes on 352 Posts

At home depot in the paint caulking & silicon section, go down the isle until you run into the caulking and silicone section. By the silicon's there is a product called silicon windshield protectant. You buy the silicon windshield protectant and bring it home. Place the silicon windshield protectant in your caulking gun. Pull trigger until you get a solid bead roughly 2/3 of the way to the top of the windshield all the way across and another at 1/3 height. Full width. Continue by grabbing a plastic putty knife and liberally spreading silicon across entire windshield. A nice even layer is preferred for best protection. Ensure the truck is in at least a 5 degree C spot as you don't want the silicon to be ruined by lower temp. Wait until silicon is dry and then forget everything I just wrote cause its not a real thing. Hopefully another member will chime with a helpful solution. Welcome to the Forum!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

To my knowledge, this isn't a thing. If you get chips or cracks, fill them in with optically clear epoxy, otherwise it's simply something you have to live with.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM
I like to eat.

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

Clear bra maybe?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon Amazon

This is the only product I’ve been able to locate thus far. It’s an awesome concept, just don’t know about the reliability of it.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 645 Likes on 352 Posts

Likely similar to a PPF. Im thinking you would probably regret putting it on. Run the wipers a few times and it will have streaks gouged into it.

Ceramic coating would be a better alternative. Would help out with pitting, and would help wick the water off while raining. Rock chips are unavoidable tho, bound to happen to any vehicle. Get them filled if possible.

Search this Thread