Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EDGE with mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDGE with mods

Well I have been reading the forums for a while but havent posted till today. I have read a few refrences to the order in which to mod your truck. I was going through the edge pages but could not find out why it has problems with CIA... or how to fix it.
My first to mods to my '09 5.4L SC were a airaid CIA and Poweraid spacer. The edge is what i would like to put in next... i was hoping to order this week but there have been refrences to problems with CIA's. how do i get around this or am i bunked because i already have the mods?

Also as a general discussion i would like to put a question out to the "do it yourselfers". I am fairly handy and was wondering what other semi-bolt on upgrades can i do once i get my edge to give me a boost without huge price tags. Labour is not an issue... money can be.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can always do a exhaust, and if you have the money you could do a water meth injection kit from snow performance even if your engine isnt turbo/supercharged
Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to refer to the picture below to help explain why the Edge doesn't play nice with aftermarket CAI. The Edge tunes are written for a stock truck. That means it thinks it has the distances between the MAF and housing in a stock intake. The MAF meters the flow of the incoming air and works with the O2 sensors and IAT through the PCM to adjust air/fuel ratios. Most aftermarket CAI increase the diameter of the housing around the MAF. This means that it will take less velocity of flow to achieve the same amount of air going into the motor. The amount of air going in does not change because it still a naturally aspirated engine. With the less velocity flowing pass the MAF, the Edge tuned PCM will assume there is less air coming in. This causes the fuel trims to adjust and provide less fuel due to the thought that there is less air. This can cause a lean condition in many motors, this is especially true in the 04-05 5.4L. While 06+ can compensate some, it is still not perfect and can lead to lean conditions. Without being able to fully compensate you're not getting all the power you could be out of the CAI. Why spend $300 on a CAI and not get the full benefits? There are not adjustments the user can make on the Edge system to adjust to this. The software needs to be changed, this is where Power Hungry Performance (PHP) comes in. Bill Cohron at PHP used to write the stock PCM settings for Ford, he then went on to write the canned tunes for Edge, now he has the exclusive rights to custom tuning the Edge platform. The custom tuning turns the canned Edge into a custom tunable Gryphon. The Edge Evo must be sent in for the conversion, while the new CS/CTS can simply download the custom tunes and become a Gryphon via a server. You can also buy a Gryphon direct from PHP. The custom tunes can properly account for the extra area around the MAF and keep a/f ratios in a safe range and get the most out of the CAI.

The next mod after a programmer and intake should be some sort of exhaust modification, either a full system or just cat back/muffler swap. A straight through muffler should be used for best power gains.

The following 2 users liked this post by otto457:
oakshadsows (06-04-2015), SS308 (04-19-2016)
Old 05-06-2011, 12:54 AM

wow thanks for the info! That was really helpful. What is the cts btw? also if my chip is my next mod are there any other mods that i would have to worry about having a negitive effect after getting a evo? I wouldnt want to have to send it in again to get reprogrammed....
Old 05-06-2011, 10:45 PM

The Edge CTS is just a color touch screen version of of the CS. Only other mods besides a CAI that would need custom tuning are exhaust mods that involve the cats or forced induction.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I do not apply here because the year, but I have an 02 f-150 with CAI, Exhaust, and Edge Evo. I just replaced my plugs because I recently hit 100k. The plugs looked really good. Not to rich, not to lean. Hope the info helps.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 AM

alright heres another one for you guys. I cannot find a direct replacment for underdrive power pulley's so i did not have to change my belt. any suggestions as to where i can get them?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by otto457
Welcome to the forum. I'm going to refer to the picture below to help explain why the Edge doesn't play nice with aftermarket CAI. The Edge tunes are written for a stock truck. That means it thinks it has the distances between the MAF and housing in a stock intake. The MAF meters the flow of the incoming air and works with the O2 sensors and IAT through the PCM to adjust air/fuel ratios. Most aftermarket CAI increase the diameter of the housing around the MAF. This means that it will take less velocity of flow to achieve the same amount of air going into the motor. The amount of air going in does not change because it still a naturally aspirated engine. With the less velocity flowing pass the MAF, the Edge tuned PCM will assume there is less air coming in. This causes the fuel trims to adjust and provide less fuel due to the thought that there is less air. This can cause a lean condition in many motors, this is especially true in the 04-05 5.4L. While 06+ can compensate some, it is still not perfect and can lead to lean conditions. Without being able to fully compensate you're not getting all the power you could be out of the CAI. Why spend $300 on a CAI and not get the full benefits? There are not adjustments the user can make on the Edge system to adjust to this. The software needs to be changed, this is where Power Hungry Performance (PHP) comes in. Bill Cohron at PHP used to write the stock PCM settings for Ford, he then went on to write the canned tunes for Edge, now he has the exclusive rights to custom tuning the Edge platform. The custom tuning turns the canned Edge into a custom tunable Gryphon. The Edge Evo must be sent in for the conversion, while the new CS/CTS can simply download the custom tunes and become a Gryphon via a server. You can also buy a Gryphon direct from PHP. The custom tunes can properly account for the extra area around the MAF and keep a/f ratios in a safe range and get the most out of the CAI.

The next mod after a programmer and intake should be some sort of exhaust modification, either a full system or just cat back/muffler swap. A straight through muffler should be used for best power gains.

Dude! that's one sweet post! I think it answered my question but just to be sure. I have an Airaid CAI, but I got the one that does not replace the intake tube for exactly that reason. Therefore, neither the CFM of flow, nor the pressure should differ at all from factory in relation to the MAF sensor. The air will flow faster due to less restriction in the Aairaid filter but the MAF should still interpret that correctly right?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter2010s/c
Therefore, neither the CFM of flow, nor the pressure should differ at all from factory in relation to the MAF sensor. The air will flow faster due to less restriction in the Aairaid filter but the MAF should still interpret that correctly right?
Exactly. CFM flow doesn't change and the MAF is unchanged so any minor differences will be able to be accounted for. The stock MAF can handle a much larger flow than is ever used. Many low boosted applications use the stock MAF because as long as it can still meter properly, it can account for a larger amount. The Airaid Jr and filter is not a problem at all.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I can't quite figure out why these companies try to trick people into the aftermarket intake tubes under false pretense. I run a heavy truck (Western Star) dealership in Canada and I'm not as up on my gas engines as I should be, but increasing the intake tube size is like wiping before you poop, it just doesn't make sense. It's the same as hydraulic flow, when you reduce restriction, you only affect the velocity of flow and the pressure, but at the end of the day, the same amount of fluid will still pass through in the same amount of time. Thanks for the affirmation that when my Edge arrives I will not have to worry about lean conditions in the back of my mind! I hope this thread will help people realize you only need to change the air cleaner to get the result you're looking for. Leave the intake tube stock, the MAF sensor is calibrated to it's dimensions and can properly communicate you CAI's improvements to the rest of your engine.

Last edited by Dexter2010s/c; 05-18-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: EDGE with mods