Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop in air filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drop in air filters

Just recently did the GOTTS mod and I heard it works good with a better air filter (high flow, performance, ect). Do the air filters really make much of a difference? If so which one would help the best for mpg and hp?
Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

I used a K&N filter on my Sport Trac and it was great!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash FX4
Just recently did the GOTTS mod and I heard it works good with a better air filter (high flow, performance, ect). Do the air filters really make much of a difference? If so which one would help the best for mpg and hp?
Honestly on the dyno there isn't a whole lot of difference between the paper air filter and no filter at all. Look for a good filtering filter. Many claim a little better throttle response with a "performance" filter, but no real power gains. Some of the better filtering filters are: any paper filter, aFe Pro dry, Amsoil Ea, and AEM dry.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Z15

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash FX4
Short answer. NO

I found this posted on another forum some time ago but where I cannot recall. Makes sense to me.

---Read below---

Have you purchased a cold air intake kit for your vehicle yet? If so, you are among the many thousands who (for various reasons) have bought into this technology. But does it really do what you thought it would?

The most common reasons people give for installing a Cold Air Intake are:

1.More Horsepower
2.Better Fuel Efficiency
More Horsepower! Now this one is true, but might be a little misleading. Cold air intakes can result in actual gains in power, but not necessarily in the way most people are expecting them. The key that is typically missing in the mind of the average consumer is that the only time power is increased is when the engine is at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). For those who don't know what that means, WOT is basically when the gas pedal is pressed all the way to the floor.

Some are now thinking "Wait a minute! The cold air intake lets cooler, more dense air into the engine. It also has less restriction than the stock setup. This lets it 'breathe' better, and therefore is more efficient." What can I say? You're right...at wide open throttle. What many people don't realize and what many others simply forget to consider is that there is a throttle valve connected to your gas pedal that is constantly restricting the air flow into the engine. The only time it is not restricting the airflow is when it is wide open...hence the term WOT. Some will now say "But it will still breathe more efficiently even at part throttle." You must then remember why there is a throttle valve in the intake to begin with. The throttle valve determines how much air enters the engine, and the engine computer (for fuel injected engines) determines how much fuel to mix with the air. Several factors influence how the computer determines this, but the result is basically the same: a fixed Air/Fuel Ratio will be supplied to the cylinders. This should be obvious since all modern vehicles have to comply with EPA emissions standards.

That means that more air = more fuel = more power = more speed. Now that's good if you're at WOT, but how many of you drive at WOT even 1% of the time? The fact is that you almost always drive in part throttle...because you're usually limiting the vehicle's acceleration. That is the key. Any time you limit vehicle's speed/acceleration with the gas pedal, you are actually limiting (restricting) the amount of air entering the engine. This defeats the purpose of the cold air intake, high-flow intake, high-flow filter, etc. It is only effective when you're at WOT.

One thing should be clarified here...when I refer to WOT, that can also be a little misleading. The condition where these devices increase power is not always exactly at WOT. The throttle valve on a car's intake system is typically a butterfly valve. The more it is closed, the more restrictive it becomes. The least restrictive condition is when it is wide open. Keep in mind that the intake system is sized to operate the engine through a full range of speeds and load conditions. If you get full power from your engine at 5,000 rpm, the throttle valve is sized allow air to flow through it at that speed. Now how much air do you suppose is flowing when you're only turning the engine at 2,500 rpm? This is the situation you have when your're pulling a heavy load (trailer, etc.) in a high gear. This is the situation I find myself in with my pickup when pulling a travel trailer. In 3rd gear at 60 mph, the intake manifold pressure and mass airflow don't change at all from about 70% open throttle to 100%. Why? The throttle valve is effectively at WOT for that speed. There is no measurable resistance being offered by the valve when at 70% open. Does that mean that a cold air intake would help when towing heavy loads? Probably not. The reason is that when you have the condition described above (you have more pedal, but it doesn't change anything), the intake system (filter & piping) is providing very little air resistance. You know this because the primary form of resistance--the throttle valve--isn't even doing anything from ~70% and up. That tells you that there is not as much air flowing through the intake as there would be at high rpm (like if you down-shifted), and therefore your air filter creates a very small amount of resistance by comparison. NOTE: This is assuming that the air filter is clean. If it is clogged up, that's a different story.

In summary, the cold air intakes and high-performance filters are good for improving full-pedal engine power. Practically that means that you are buying a modification that helps you pass (at full-pedal) or race. Don't expect fuel economy gains...sorry.

Last edited by Z15; 08-25-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this. It actually makes quite a bit of sense.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the K&N drop in filter on my 5.0 as far as a "noticeable" power gain, it's not there. I did however pick up 1.1 MPG in my mileage though.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
...is a sweet ride

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I just added an AFE Pro Dry S oiless drop in air filter in my 2009 5.4L, mostly because I got it for only $40.

I not positive, but I think I'm seeing about a 1 mpg increase on the freeway at 65-70 mph, by looking at the mpg gauge in the instrument cluster. The mpg gauge was within 1/4 mpg when I checked it manually on half a dozen consecutive tanks of mixed city and 50 mph highway and I was getting about 16.5 mpg. My new job is 3x farther away, and all freeway. I think I've been getting 18+, and now with the filter I think I'm getting 19+.

It doesn't seem to make sense that a drop in air filter can have that much difference, if any at all.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed the AFe stage 1 Magnum force intake on my 2012 ecoboost and I'm now getting 17 mpg's cruising at 50-60. Before I was getting like 14.5 max. As for power I can't tell much of a difference. Definitely a little quicker throttle response.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Forgot to mention I'm running 35" toyo mts!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Lookin' for Trouble

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did gotts mod, added K & N drop in and cut the front of the air box so cold air is forced in while moving, I gained 3 MPGs... + I can now hear the turbo spool in the cabin

Quick Reply: Drop in air filters