Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0430 + aftermarket CC

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Code P0430 + aftermarket CC

New to the site and glad to be here to hopefully gain some knowledge and get my truck to where I want it to be.
I just bought a 2005 F-150 a month ago and was warned that the check engine light would be coming on possibly because of an O2 sensor. After getting it read (Code P0430) at multiple places and doing some research I believe my CC is going bad. Difference in ride includes a slight jerking when going uphill.
Has anyone experienced this before?
If it were you or if you have been down this road, should I replace the left side CC? And if so, would you purchase a factory one or go aftermarket such as a Magnaflow CC?
In addition, I was planning on putting in a new exhaust until this came up. I still would like to do that. For those of you who have an idea, what should my approach be to this with regards to being the most economical; not cheap, just ECONOMICAL. Recommendation on brand, ball park price, etc. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (11-19-2021)
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

That code is catalyst efficiency below threshold meaning the catalytic convertor is not doing it's job. As for the performance issue, going to need more info like miles on it, engine size, etc...
o6S1D9e (11-19-2021)
Old 10-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by rnlcomp
that code is catalyst efficiency below threshold meaning the catalytic convertor is not doing it's job. As for the performance issue, going to need more info like miles on it, engine size, etc...
168k 4dr 5.4l v8 rwd
o6S1D9e (11-19-2021)
Old 10-23-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You probably need new spark plugs and cop's to handle the performance concerns, but yeah at that mileage the cats are effectively worn out, replace both.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
o6S1D9e (11-19-2021), Tightliner89 (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You probably need new spark plugs and cop's to handle the performance concerns, but yeah at that mileage the cats are effectively worn out, replace both.
Is there any specific brand you would recommend? Someone mentioned "high flow" to me. I see all different kinds that all look different. Is there a big difference in performance between the Magnaflow, Eastern, and Walker? I wouldn't mind spending less if there isn't a big performance difference. But if the Magnaflows are worth it then so be it. Let me know what you think..

Here is a set I was looking at if I am on the right track.

Right side
Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 24090 Large Stainless Steel Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 24090 Large Stainless Steel Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive

Left side
Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 24089 Large Stainless Steel Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 24089 Large Stainless Steel Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive

I appreciate you bearing with me on this as I am new to the exhaust system of a vehicle.
o6S1D9e (11-19-2021)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default So how'd that go for you all these years later?

I am about to buy those exact same cats, the 24089/90 for my 05' FX4 SCrew and would like to know if your issues were finally corrected. Also, have the new cats ever triggered your CEL for any reason? If so, what for and did you fix it?

I've put a lot of money into my lemon to make her run as great as she does. Itll really suck if i went backwards by installing something expensive that tripped codes. id end up taking it off if it were to trip the CEL and there be no other options because she runs great. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure she's been clogged up for a few years now along with a known leak at the Y-Pipe flange.

​I need new cats , Y-Pipe and an exhaust. Had i only needed the cats id be going with the cheapest solution that I've read on these forums which is to get the Magnaflow 94136 and go with only two of them as others have reported success with having done themselves.

I'm getting the Borla 140137 exhaust at the same time. If all goes well after some time I'll do the headers and a variant of the gots mod, but only after a successful few thousand miles with the new cats and pipes exhaust.

Years ago i went to a muffler shop and pointed out the quad cat set up that was a "take off" that was too be installed onto mine since i HAD four bad cats. When i got back they gave me a two cat set up and i freaked out. Well that was in 2018 and i drive it every day and have not gotten a code. Its because of this experience that i was leaning towards the single cat MF 94136 option without fear of the CEL.

Originally Posted by Tightliner89
Is there any specific brand you would recommend? Someone mentioned "high flow" to me. I see all different kinds that all look different. Is there a big difference in performance between the Magnaflow, Eastern, and Walker? I wouldn't mind spending less if there isn't a big performance difference. But if the Magnaflows are worth it then so be it. Let me know what you think..

Here is a set I was looking at if I am on the right track.

Right side Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 24090 Large Stainless Steel Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive

Left side
Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 24089 Large Stainless Steel Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive

I appreciate you bearing with me on this as I am new to the exhaust system of a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Code P0430 + aftermarket CC