Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese knockoff VCD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Chinese knockoff VCD?

Has anyone purchased a clone VCM? I'm VERY tempted to order one of these for personal use, but of course my concern is whether or not it actually works!

Now I'm quite sure they are inferior in quality to the real deal and I'm also sure that they won't work with vehicles newer than what the software supports. I'd be fine with all that, considering it's for personal use for a single vehicle.

On eBay, for instance, is the following:

Best Quality Ford VCM II Multi-Language OEM Diagnostic Tool VCM 2

Confusingly, they have units that appear to be the same thing (or not?) ranging in price from about $200 to $450. That could just be a pricing game to make it look like there's a selection.

I'd love to hear about actual experience with something like this!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 PM

I bought a Cen-Tech scan tool from Harbor Freight a while back to diagnose CELs in my wife's minivan--the 2003 Ford 3.0 V6's coil packs are notorious for going bad too quickly. I think I paid $80.00 for it and it has been very useful.

Last time I used it, it informed me that the rear O2 sensor had stopped working...ordered a new sensor from a well known parts company online and it saved me a bunch of money. Shops were quoting $300 to "diagnose, parts, labor, environmental fees, blah blah blah.

Michael
Old 03-10-2014, 01:26 PM

I believe that reading codes is simple enough (OBD-II), but programming requires the VCM and IDS software.

I find it annoying how proprietary and expensive it is to program a Ford, considering I had full capability for my Audi with VAG-COM for much cheaper. Interestingly, the Audi community even registers their VAG-COMs for other members to use for free. I had mine registered.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I thought about taking a chance on one of those clones but opted for the real deal made in Germany Bosch. With the cost of the IDS license I didn't want to take a chance of any compatibility issues that may arrise.

Got mine from ebay brand new and it came with the CFR pendant for hard to pin down diag.

Was $200 cheaper than buying from Rotunda, the license to use the VCM and IDS is $700/yr.

Some ebay sellers sell it a little cheaper.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by tbeaulieu
I find it annoying how proprietary and expensive it is to program a Ford

I agree 1000% I still have a Hickok NGS (T bar) that is updated to 2008 and costs nothing to use, everything beyond 08 you have to have the VCM/IDS

The good thing is Ford says the VCM II will be the tool for generations to come. They said the same thing about WDS when it came out, World Diagnostic System, at the dealer we called it "Wont Do ****" because half the time you spent on a vehicle was completely engulfed with Windows 98 reboots ,BSOD's etc....

IDS is a refined WDS, it actually works like it should so if you had any experience on WDS you will feel right at home with IDS.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 PM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

What exactly is this necessary for with programming and IDS??
(Sorry Ford noob trying to understand) Seems awfully expensive

Found it on Amazon with 1 user review at 3 stars but if you read his review, he's happy, but it didn't come with instructions.

Amazon.com: Ford VCM II IDS V84 OEM Level Diagnostic Tool support 2013 Ford Vehicles OBD2 Scanner FORD IDS VCM 2: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Ford VCM II IDS V84 OEM Level Diagnostic Tool support 2013 Ford Vehicles OBD2 Scanner FORD IDS VCM 2: Car Electronics

I use the phone app Torque for $5 plus a bluetooth OBDII tool for scanning codes.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by CreepinDeth
What exactly is this necessary for with programming and IDS??
(Sorry Ford noob trying to understand) Seems awfully expensive

Found it on Amazon with 1 user review at 3 stars but if you read his review, he's happy, but it didn't come with instructions.

Amazon.com: Ford VCM II IDS V84 OEM Level Diagnostic Tool support 2013 Ford Vehicles OBD2 Scanner FORD IDS VCM 2: Car Electronics

I use the phone app Torque for $5 plus a bluetooth OBDII tool for scanning codes.
I also use Torque when I just want to pull codes quickly. The VCM along with IDS gives complete control over everything that makes our vehicles tick, same computer equipment the dealer tech's use.

Dealer level programming and diagnostics.

Quick Reply: Chinese knockoff VCD?