Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cat back exhaust

You would think that I would find tons of info on this but most of it is really questionable if not outright baloney so I ask you people; what would I expect from a CAT back exhaust for a 2013 F150 with the 5.0. I don't mean sound or seat of the pants but real numbers.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Nothing! An aftermarket catback exhaust is just a noisier way to exhaust the burnt gases. It doesn't add any power period.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Nada, zero, zip, zilch, bupkis, I have a 13 with 5.0 and a catback Magnaflow and already knew it would only enhance sound. The oem muffler is just as open flow as any aftermarket system just has more baffles along it's sides that mellows the sound a little.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:08 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

As others have noted ... no gain in performance and/or MPG.

*OEM muffler

*OEM resonator
AND ... The extire exhaust system is stainless steel.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks and bunch. I am finding a lot of conflicting info on this....anything from 4 to 70hp with the use of a tuner. I would also like to share a bit of info. I have found that my 2013 f150 suffers from spring wrap and after some head scratching I tried using a bump stop from Energy Suspension part number 9.9132. I used this little stop to replace the front, black OEM rubber 'stop' which is in the spring pack and about half way down.....stopped the spring wrap completely. I tried one front and back but the ride was way to harsh. I also tried the next size up but again, to harsh. I posted this in the tow/haul section but funny thing is, no one wants to talk about it unless is has timbrens or RAS or air bags written on it. 10 bucks, give in a shot.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulevard
Thanks and bunch. I am finding a lot of conflicting info on this....anything from 4 to 70hp with the use of a tuner. I would also like to share a bit of info. I have found that my 2013 f150 suffers from spring wrap and after some head scratching I tried using a bump stop from Energy Suspension part number 9.9132. I used this little stop to replace the front, black OEM rubber 'stop' which is in the spring pack and about half way down.....stopped the spring wrap completely. I tried one front and back but the ride was way to harsh. I also tried the next size up but again, to harsh. I posted this in the tow/haul section but funny thing is, no one wants to talk about it unless is has timbrens or RAS or air bags written on it. 10 bucks, give in a shot.

The tuner is what's making the power, I have one my self. As for the axle wrap a set of ladder bars will cure that. Got those as well and it has zero effect on suspension ride quality.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If you decided to upgrade your exhaust, upgrade your air intake and get a custom tune in order to get some hp gain.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

karlmag ... upgrade your air intake ...
Another no-gain mod' (unless you're doing it for engine bay cosmetics and increased growl).

OEM, stock .....
  • already CAI.
  • CFM exceeds engine requirements/needs. *UNLESS über engine modifications are done.
  • any increase in CFM comes at the expense of filtration.
  • no contaminating the MAF sensor with oil. *Which reduces performance and MPG.
  • there are NO performance and/or MPG gains with aftermarket air intake systems. *If you're looking for performance and/or possible MPG gains, put your $$$$$ towards a tuner+tune(s).
Regarding a non-OEM, oiled drop-in air filter .....
  • increases the likelihood of oil contaminating the MAF sensor. *Over time even minute oil contamination decreases power and MPG. When it's REALLY EXCESSIVE it will be intuitively obvious.
  • cleaning is a PITA. *And, Yes, I've done it on MAS equipped vehicles.
  • Motorcraft, OEM air filters ...
    • meets|exceeds engine air intake CFM requirements.
    • good for 30,000+ miles (depending upon conditions).
    • ABSOLUTELY NO possibility of MAF sensor oil contamination.
    • dispose and replace maintenance.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:46 PM
F150 Forum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wont gain any noticeable power from a catback by itself. The better sound is well worth it though.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Another no-gain mod' (unless you're doing it for engine bay cosmetics and increased growl).

OEM, stock .....
  • already CAI.
  • CFM exceeds engine requirements/needs. *UNLESS über engine modifications are done.
  • no contaminating the MAF sensor with oil. *Which reduces performance and MPG.
  • there are NO performance and/or MPG gains with aftermarket air intake systems. *If you're looking for performance and/or possible MPG gains, put your $$$$$ towards a tuner+tune(s).
Regarding a non-OEM, oiled drop-in air filter .....
  • increases the likelihood of oil contaminating the MAF sensor. *Over time even minute oil contamination decreases power and MPG. When it's REALLY EXCESSIVE it will be intuitively obvious.
  • cleaning is a PITA. *And, Yes, I've done it on MAS equipped vehicles.
  • Motorcraft, OEM air filters ...
    • meets|exceeds engine air intake CFM requirements.
    • good for 30,000+ miles (depending upon conditions).
    • ABSOLUTELY NO possibility of MAF sensor oil contamination.
    • dispose and replace maintenance.
Respectfully, I think the "dangers" of using an aftermarket CAI with an oiled filter are overhyped. I have run them in eight vehicles over the course of many years with no problems, and while I have read many posts like this that highlight the problems with them, I don't remember reading too many (or any?) from someone 1st hand complaining they destroyed their MAF with such a thing.

Yes you have to clean and oil them annually, but this is easy to do.

They look good, they sound good, and I think there is no issue with putting one in your truck.
The following users liked this post:
Chillin (06-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Cat back exhaust