Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI alone, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CAI alone, worth it?

Hey guys I just bought a '12 supercrew 5.0. I'm looking into adding personal touches as well as possibly an intake. My question is is the intake worth 200-300 bucks by its self? I know I shouldn't expect big power gains or mpg increase. I would take anything I get of course. I know a lot of guys say these trucks really come alive with a tune, but I don't want to risk losing my warranty. So, is an intake (airaid?, k&n?) alone worth it? Or just go with a k and n drop in filter and be satisfied?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great question. I would like to know this myself if the stock airbox and tube really need to be replaced, or can they just be modded to be similar to other CAI setups
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM

No opinions on whether its worth just doing an intake by itself?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by back in black
great question. I would like to know this myself if the stock airbox and tube really need to be replaced, or can they just be modded to be similar to other CAI setups
Yeah hopefully we can get some input from some guys...I must have posted my response at the exact time you did haha
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I am against drop in filters and I will explain why. Some folks on SVT Performance did an actual dyno test comparing the factory 2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 filter and a K&N drop in filter. The K&N drop in actually caused a loss of power. That 5.0 engine in the Mustang is pretty similar to the F150 5.0 so personally I would never go with a drop in. However, I cannot speak of the drop in for the Ecoboost but a power drop in one engine from the filter is enough to scare me away in all engines.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Loosescrews
I am against drop in filters and I will explain why. Some folks on SVT Performance did an actual dyno test comparing the factory 2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 filter and a K&N drop in filter. The K&N drop in actually caused a loss of power. That 5.0 engine in the Mustang is pretty similar to the F150 5.0 so personally I would never go with a drop in. However, I cannot speak of the drop in for the Ecoboost but a power drop in one engine from the filter is enough to scare me away in all engines.
Do you think the gains that K&N claims with the entire CAI kit are bogus?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Captain22
Do you think the gains that K&N claims with the entire CAI kit are bogus?
Ive seen actual dyno testings from people with various filters on here and I believe that the average is around 6-9 hp and around 20 torque with no tune. If some manufacturers are claiming much more than that then they are full of it. I am going with the K&N intake on my Ecoboost mainly for the sound.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your gains will be about 10 ponies or so but with the heft of these trucks you wont feel in with the butt dyno. They sound good and look good and if they free up a little more air I'm for it. This is on my short list of upgrades.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the replies and input. I will stay away from the k&n drop in. But I do like what I'm hearing about the entire kits...so in your opinions, is k&n the way to go? I have been researching an hearing good things about Airaid and Afe as well. Pretty much an apple to apples comparison or not?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dwl0222285
Thanks for the replies and input. I will stay away from the k&n drop in. But I do like what I'm hearing about the entire kits...so in your opinions, is k&n the way to go? I have been researching an hearing good things about Airaid and Afe as well. Pretty much an apple to apples comparison or not?
Yes, for the most part they are very similar. I'd say go with the one that you think is the coolest.

Quick Reply: CAI alone, worth it?