Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed extender

Old 03-11-2018, 12:35 PM
WAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed extender

I use to own a 2004 F150 that had a metal bed extender that I really liked. 10 months ago I got a new to me 2015 F150 and wanted a bed extender but when I saw the plastic one I started to look around for a metal one. I know the new design can separate in the middle but it only covers the tailgate a little more than half way when open is the other reason I want the old style.
I asked the local Ford dealer IF the older style could fit on the newer bed but no one in sales, service or parts could give me an answer. I gambled and purchased an older bed extender from a 2007 F150 and also purchased the mounting hardware and to my suprise the holes that are already pre done on the bed worked fine for the old bed extender. I only had to thread the holes for the bolt that the bed extender clips on to. The grommets that the locking pin go into just clipped into the pre-existing holes. Everything just worked.
I am posting this so IF by chance there are others out there that do not like the newer plastic bed extender but would rather have the older style and not want one of the after market ones that have straps that hold it in place this works as long as you get the correct mounting hardware and the bed extender is for a F150 and Not an Explorer that has a smaller bed extender.

Bed extender-metebzn.jpg
Bed extender-hzojuyc.jpg
Old 03-11-2018, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is great. Where did you buy the mounting hardware from? Also what did you mean by threading the holes for the bolt, how did you do it?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:31 PM
WAL

Originally Posted by NY16Sport
This is great. Where did you buy the mounting hardware from? Also what did you mean by threading the holes for the bolt, how did you do it?
I purchased the mounting kit hardware on e-Bay. It was advertised for 2004 thru 2008 F150 mounting kit for the bed extender.
I just used the bolt and threaded it into place. I did not have to use a tap.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Ok thank you and the kit comes with the bolt and everything needed?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:57 PM
WAL

Originally Posted by NY16Sport
Ok thank you and the kit comes with the bolt and everything needed?
Yes. 2 bolts and 4 grommets.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Great thank you for the info! I am going to attempt this as the older bed extenders are much cheaper than the newer foldable ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bed extender