Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed cleat installation problem --

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bed cleat installation problem --

Hi all --

I just purchased a 2018 F-150 Screw, Platinum. I've been a lurking member for a number of years (this is our 5th F-150 since 1984).

The 2018 came with a set of four lockable bed cleats for the four plates on the sides of the bed. I installed one of the cleats -- a bit snug the way in, but I was able to walk it up the slot into place.

The other three cleats are "ain't no way they're goin' in" tight -- the neck of "T" portion of the cleats are too wide to enter the slots and slide up into place. I tried them in all of the other three bed brackets.

I wanted to check in here before I go beck to the dealer, to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. I didn't see an answer in a search, but I suspect I'm not the first to have run into this issue.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean the Box Link? I had the same experience. There is a youtube video floating around out there where the guy used a grinder to grind down part of the material on the cleat to allow room to get in the holder.

I'll try it but after i get my Line-X installed.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Take it back to the dealer and have them correct the issue.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 PM

Thanks, folks.

I stopped by my dealer this evening, too close to closing to have them actually work on the cleats, but service suggested that I could remove the mounting plates from the bed walls (4 T30 bolts each) and hammer in the cleats.

I removed the plates, turned them upside down on a soft surface to avoid paint chipping, and used a rubber mallet at the back side of each plate to drive the cleats' "T"s into their slots. Each cleat seated with a few whacks from the mallet, and the mounting plates bolted right back up into place.

Problem fixed.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

If it doesn’t fit, beat it with a hammer until it does.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Neckbone
If it doesn’t fit, beat it with a hammer until it does.
I had tried using a rubber mallet to pound the cleats up into place with the brackets installed, but no-go. Downward impacts from the back of the bracket worked well.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mneblett
Thanks, folks.

I stopped by my dealer this evening, too close to closing to have them actually work on the cleats, but service suggested that I could remove the mounting plates from the bed walls (4 T30 bolts each) and hammer in the cleats.

I removed the plates, turned them upside down on a soft surface to avoid paint chipping, and used a rubber mallet at the back side of each plate to drive the cleats' "T"s into their slots. Each cleat seated with a few whacks from the mallet, and the mounting plates bolted right back up into place.

Problem fixed.
Had the same problem, 1 went on no problem, the other 3 no luck. Ended up spraying the cleat and the bracket with WD40 and using a rubber mallet. Not easy to due hammering up, but it worked. Should have just removed the bracket.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, was PIA for me as well on my '18. removed plates to install. will probably end up using mallet to remove if/when I need to.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:30 PM
4x4 Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same issue and I found that there were some molding ridges in the plastic covering of the cleats. I trimmed the ridges away with a knife and the cleats now fit in the bed plates...snug fit but workable. The dealer advised me to NEVER use a hammer or mallet because it could crack the cleat casting and cause it to fail under load.