Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bakflip 300 lbs, 400 lbs, 500 lbs, travel loads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bakflip 300 lbs, 400 lbs, 500 lbs, travel loads?

I take delivery next week of my new 2013 F150 Screw w/ 6 1/2 bed.
Bakflip charges more $ for covers that can hold higher weight loads, F1 (500 lbs) vs HD (400 lbs), etc.
My questions is does anyone "travel" with any load tied-down on top of these covers? I have seen a picture of a Quad on top but is this just marketing or is anyone traveling with cargo like this? If so, please advise of what kinds of loads, weights and overall results.

Please comment
Thanks,
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I have an F1. I would not attempt to put a quad on it. A couple sheets of drywall is about all I'd load on there.
The following users liked this post:
Exactestimate (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the reply. Why did u choose the F1 over HD for example? longer warranty? So you could walk on it?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I chose the F1 because i didn't want to kick myself in the *** later for not buying the best product. I've learned to spend a little more upfront as opposed to dealing with problems later. I've seen a lighter guy walk on an f1; I myself at 205 would go through it I believe. The ratings on these covers are for evenly distributed weight.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:26 AM
Brown coat independent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't try to explain the physics of how a WDH works. I'll let this video show you a good example with real world measurements break it down:

That being done I own a WDH for my 6000# TT and I wouldn't tow any other way. Sure, the truck can do it without but having a more stable, smoother ride just makes sense to me. When I owned a 4000# and a 2000# PUP I still used a WDH. You can definitely feel a difference in the ride. Less bounce on the rear and counter bounce to the front on the various TVs I've used over the years. $500 is a small price to pay for peace of mind. But that's just me.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

To the OP... You are correct on the different weight ratings of these products (dispersed weight across the entire top). The BAK products are very strong and are in fact some of the most durable hard folding covers on the market. The Tonneau Cover's rails clamp to the bedrails of the truck, which is why it's rated to support such a high weight rating. While you can certainly support something of a rectangular shape up to a few hundred pounds, I would high suggest not doing that in the center of the cover. In fact, I wouldn't exceed a couple hundred pounds if it's only sitting in the middle of the cover.

The reason they offer multiple models surpasses just the weight rating. They have aluminum models and FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer) models that are designed to cater to truck owners in different climates. The aluminum options are going to be the best for those who are located in states that experience extreme sunlight, while the FRP models will better fit those who experience hail and other harsh conditions. In short, the aluminum models are typically more UV / Fade resistant while the FRP models are more Dent / Impact resistant.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-28-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Bakflip G2 that I installed fall 2011. Just having issues with the aluminum separating from the foam core. Emailed Bak Industries and they have offered 50% off a new one as I am out of warranty. I live in the PNW so will be installing another aluminum cover albeit their redesigned one that is just above the G2 that has the new seal so you can close top and then the tailgate.

I have had my wife and daughter sitting on the cover when folded all the way back at sons soccer game.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Just a quick search and it appears Ford uses a two leaf rear suspension with a active bump stop to handle heavy weights.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Replying mobile is horrible sorry wrong thread.

Quick Reply: Bakflip 300 lbs, 400 lbs, 500 lbs, travel loads?