Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bak VP, ... Buyer Beware!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bak VP, ..Buyer Beware!

I purchased a BAK VP from Autoplicity recently. I made my decision on the Bak VP because I loved the clean look of the one piece top. The cover that BAK claims has NO VISIBLE MOUNTING HARDWARE ANYWHERE ON THE TOP SURFACE, THE SUPPOSED CLEAN, HOMOGENOUS LOOK OF THE BAK VP. After watching their video on their website several times and extensive research everywhere I could on this product, I decided the VP was the look I wanted.

Well much to my surprise the cover I recieved had mounting bolts that go thru the top as well as d-rings mounted on top too. After installing the rails as instructed, I laid the cover on top and started to unfold the panels. I couldn't believe it wasn't as advertised but at that point it was installed.

When I called BAK today I was told this is a new design. I told them I wouldn't have ordered it had I known they changed the design. It's not my fault they didn't update their product video nor did I see anything mentioned about the changes in the product details anywhere. The BAK rep said he would forward my info to the person who handles various issues, I'm waiting to hear from them. Autoplicity told me I would have to pay for return shipping and if it looks like it was previously installed they WOULDNT give me a refund. I told Autoplicity that their offer is unacceptable and will wait to see where this goes next.

Last edited by C Dub; 03-11-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Post a pic of your cover if possible.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:26 PM

I just tried to post a photo from my phone and it failed. Im not sure how to downsize the pic as im sure its too large. I will try tonight.

So far not a word from BAK, and Autoplicity is giving me a runaround. If this issue isnt addressed in a timely manner I will be filing formal complaints against both companies.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I feel your pain and it's just my opinion, but it doesn't sound like Autoplicity is at fault here. They did not misrepresent the product and there is nothing wrong with the cover. They don't have to take it back just because you don't like it. However, it does sound like you relied upon Bak's site which perhaps did misrepresent their product. I think it's Bak's problem.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (03-19-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

The VP has only had the one design, so I'm not sure what you saw or didn't see in videos and pictures, but it's always been the way it is. The bolts that go through the cover are black and about 1" in diameter and flat when fully installed. How else did you expect the cover to stay attached to the rails? The small D shape rings that are about 1/2" across can be removed by breaking down the rivets, but they are RIGHT against the cab and almost not visible at all.

I don't see how anything was misrepresented given you can look at the install instructions online and all the pictures. The install videos show the bolts as well.

Here are pictures I just took of mine and you can see the tops of the "bolts". The black disc is the washer top of the bolt. You can also see the rings. As you can see, almost not visible, but they are of course there. The second picture shows it from further away and just how "visible" they are.

I certainly don't mean anything against the OP, but this is how the cover always has been and it's gotta have a way to stay centered and secured to the bed. That's what the bolts are for.

Last edited by TJPlatinumEB; 03-11-2014 at 08:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (03-19-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks pretty slick to me. I would be happy with that piece.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:08 AM

Here is the video posted by BAK Industries. This is a product demo done by the OWNER of the company. While it was uploaded 2 years ago, it is still used on their website to promote this product. It's not my responsibility to update their promos for them. I'm not sure how long ago changes were made but the rep told me Monday that I have the updated version. So please don't sit here and claim this is the only version they ever made, clearly it's not.

About 4:15 into the video the owner of the company raves about the clean top surface from front to back. Obviously this isn't the same design I was sold. Mine looks like the one posted above.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stage4
I feel your pain and it's just my opinion, but it doesn't sound like Autoplicity is at fault here. They did not misrepresent the product and there is nothing wrong with the cover. They don't have to take it back just because you don't like it. However, it does sound like you relied upon Bak's site which perhaps did misrepresent their product. I think it's Bak's problem.
It's not a matter of me just not liking it, it's a matter of being sold something different then advertised. I bought this from Autoplicity and they should work this out with BAK, it's not up to me to work this out with the manufacturer. As a businessman myself if one of my customers has a problem then I in turn call the manufacturer and try to work out a resolution on my customers behalf. Call me crazy but I think that is the honorable thing to do.

Last edited by C Dub; 03-12-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C Dub
it's a matter of being sold something different then advertised.
I agree 100%
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by C Dub
Here is the video posted by BAK Industries. This is a product demo done by the OWNER of the company. While it was uploaded 2 years ago, it is still used on their website to promote this product. It's not my responsibility to update their promos for them. I'm not sure how long ago changes were made but the rep told me Monday that I have the updated version. So please don't sit here and claim this is the only version they ever made, clearly it's not. About 4:15 into the video the owner of the company raves about the clean top surface from front to back. Obviously this isn't the same design I was sold. Mine looks like the one posted above. Video Link: http://youtu.be/CuMxUmcfyrM
Certainly not trying to argue with you, so please don't tell me what to do or what to say. I talked extensively with both Bak and the retailer I bought mine from last fall and watched that exact video myself. Both Bak and the retailer claimed there had been no changes or issues that would result in design changes with it. That was and is my experience and I relayed that here. That's the beauty of forums such as this. We are all free to post our experiences and opinions and I did just that.

It is very unfortunate that you didn't get what you thought you ordered. Hopefully someone, either the retailer or manufacturer, will step up and do something but I could also see how their position or opinion is that you ordered that VP and got the VP. No damage to it and it functions correctly. Cosmetically it may be different than what you assumed you would get and I certainly look forward to seeing what their response is and how they choose to handle it. Bak's customer service has taken some bad criticism as of late and hopefully this doesn't just add to that. But given their previous responses to other situations, I would be surprised if they did anything at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bak VP, ... Buyer Beware!