Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bak Roll-X

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bak Roll-X

Just wanted to post up a quick review of the Bak Roll-X.

I purchased the cover here in Calgary and opted to try the install myself.

Install:
The install took about 1.5 hours plus a couple of adjustments later in the day/next day. Everyone should have the tools necessary and there are instructions in the box. I used the video on Bak's website which provided good instruction. Extra hint would be to use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften up the rubber trim pieces and mold them to the bed. Result: No Leftover or Missing Parts!

Cover:
The Good - The product itself looks to be well made. Everything fit together and very little plastic is used. It sits flush to the bed and opens and closes easily. When the cover is first removed from the packaging it is quite stiff and requires a few unrolls to get it to play nice. The latches also take a bit of time to "break in." They were quite stiff at first but have since mellowed a bit and work well.
The cover is not water tight as there was a bit of water near the tailgate and bed after a wash. I understand that pressure washing is extreme so I tried to keep the direct spray away from the cover. I consider the amount of water acceptable.

The Bad - there was a tear in the cover once I opened the box. It's about 3/4 of an inch wide and while I don't think it will effect performance I am concerned about moisture getting in between the vinyl and aluminum. I've made a warranty claim and called the selling vendor and Bak (Emailed Julian twice with no response). I think some vinyl repair place could probably fix this and it will be fine but at just about $1000 CAD this kind of quality issue should not be present. Julian - if you read this please respond to my email.

Overall: happy with the product and the install - just about anyone can do this. If and when Julian emails me back I only want to talk about how to fix the small tear and am not interested in shipping it back. I think we can come to an agreement.

I will post pictures up tonight when the snow stops falling and the cover is clear.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious about something, how much will the roll compress (or how far does the roll stick out in to the bed) if you are pushing a large box in to the bed which pushed the cover against the back window?
I've got a fibermax but thinking about getting the roll-x instead.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I got mine installed last week and although I love it, it didn't come without flaws. Thus I have contacted Bak to see if they can get it fixed for me. Hopefully it gets completed soon!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also went with the Roll-X. Ordered from AutoAnything - great service. Installed it myself yesterday. Packaging was great and the install and adjustment was easy. Installed over a BedRug. First big rain was today and all was dry. Product seems very strong and well thought out. I like the locking bars down the rails for a bit more security and no drain lines to mess with.

Highly recommended!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by PLarryJ
I also went with the Roll-X. Ordered from AutoAnything - great service. Installed it myself yesterday. Packaging was great and the install and adjustment was easy. Installed over a BedRug. First big rain was today and all was dry. Product seems very strong and well thought out. I like the locking bars down the rails for a bit more security and no drain lines to mess with.

Highly recommended!
Awesome to hear, have you posted up pictures yet?
AJ
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Although I love the concept of the Roll-X I think that for the price it should be crafted better. I was very surprised to see the workmanship. I had it replaced once with BAK and the replacement, although works, isn't as put together as I would have hoped.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0
Just wanted to post up a quick review of the Bak Roll-X.

I purchased the cover here in Calgary and opted to try the install myself.

Install:
The install took about 1.5 hours plus a couple of adjustments later in the day/next day. Everyone should have the tools necessary and there are instructions in the box. I used the video on Bak's website which provided good instruction. Extra hint would be to use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften up the rubber trim pieces and mold them to the bed. Result: No Leftover or Missing Parts!

Cover:
The Good - The product itself looks to be well made. Everything fit together and very little plastic is used. It sits flush to the bed and opens and closes easily. When the cover is first removed from the packaging it is quite stiff and requires a few unrolls to get it to play nice. The latches also take a bit of time to "break in." They were quite stiff at first but have since mellowed a bit and work well.
The cover is not water tight as there was a bit of water near the tailgate and bed after a wash. I understand that pressure washing is extreme so I tried to keep the direct spray away from the cover. I consider the amount of water acceptable.

The Bad - there was a tear in the cover once I opened the box. It's about 3/4 of an inch wide and while I don't think it will effect performance I am concerned about moisture getting in between the vinyl and aluminum. I've made a warranty claim and called the selling vendor and Bak (Emailed Julian twice with no response). I think some vinyl repair place could probably fix this and it will be fine but at just about $1000 CAD this kind of quality issue should not be present. Julian - if you read this please respond to my email.

Overall: happy with the product and the install - just about anyone can do this. If and when Julian emails me back I only want to talk about how to fix the small tear and am not interested in shipping it back. I think we can come to an agreement.

I will post pictures up tonight when the snow stops falling and the cover is clear.
Thanks for the write up. I had mine professionally installed due to the Ford bed liner interfering with the install. A little Dremelling was all that was needed. Sits flush in most places and no leaks. Those of you in cold climates will have trouble rolling her up when below freezing. I'll see how the vinyl holds up rolling and unrolling with the snow/ice. Otherwise shes a winner thus far.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my Roll-X installed on my 2012 SCrew. It rolls up to a little under 8". The new strap bracket keeps the bundle away from the window so I have not installed the provided bumpers. It has also kept the BedRug and tools pretty dry. I am also sure I'll appreciate the felt that has been added to help roll it up when we get to summer time.
Attached Images     
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgalaxy
Thanks for the write up. I had mine professionally installed due to the Ford bed liner interfering with the install. A little Dremelling was all that was needed. Sits flush in most places and no leaks. Those of you in cold climates will have trouble rolling her up when below freezing. I'll see how the vinyl holds up rolling and unrolling with the snow/ice. Otherwise shes a winner thus far.
So far the RollX has had to tough freezing rain, feet of snow, thaw and freeze, regular snow and constant ice and so far so good. No leaks. Rolling her up in this frozen world is still a pain and I wont use the lock straps in this cold. The unlocking pull cords are a bit of a pain, but I think a good lubricant for the winter will solve most of my trouble.

How are you other cold climate folks finding your RollX?

Quick Reply: Bak Roll-X