Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bak MX4 Tonneau Cover Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Bak MX4 Tonneau Cover Review

This is my first pick up truck let alone F-150 and I found this forum to have been very helpful so I thought I'd add a quick review of the BAK MX4 Tonneau Cover for my 2016 F-150.

I wanted:
- A hard top cover..because I found soft tops to rip/sag after awhile
- Spend less than $900 which for a hard top was actually the low end
- A cover that had the most flexibility..allowing full access to the bed when needed
- A cover that I didn't have to fiddle with when opening/closing tail gate (I.E can close tailgate with the cover down)

After some research I ruled out rolling covers because they were either expensive or most often took up some of the bed when the cover was "Rolled" up in it's canister. Other ones that rolled up and sat on ledge between the bed and the cab did allow full access but those had vinyl surfaces (albiet with metal structure underneath). None the less, I was put off by how vinyl looks if not taken care of.

That left me with the BAK industries "Bakflip" type of covers. There are other manufacturers who have covers that use the same concept of folding all the way up against the cab.

I went with BAK because of price, general availability of reviews on their products as well as the MX4, very specifically.

The MX4 has a matte finish to it. Which matches the matte plastic rail caps as well as other matte finishes such as on the bumber cap. In addition I made sure the finish was not going to fade - BAK promises the finish wont fade in the sun or over time...so I took their word but we'll see. Also the MX4 has a pretty high weight rating to it - 400lbs. Although I dont plan to stand on it, I liked the fact that the rating was something that indicated it's potential durability or at least the types of materials it's made of. Finally the MX4 checked off my biggest wish list item. A cover that can stay closed while the tailgate is being operated. This is a HUGE convenience - probably one you dont know you want until you try it.

The install was super easy. 30min from start to finish. As you can see, I have a drop-in liner. It did not get in the way at all. The only part that took some guess work was how far forward or back I wanted the cover. Further back and the tailgate gets a better seal. Too far back and the cover starts to get hung up on the tailgate. Too far forward and the cover isn't flush. It was honestly not a big deal - just a few open/closes of the tailgate and eyeballing the seals on both the front and rear of the cover.

Speaking of the seals. I could see how if you don't take your time you could easily compromise the water tightness or the cover. The seals are rubber and if you do not press down on the rails that you clamp to the bed lip while you secure it, You will end up securing the rail a few millimeters higher than flush. It doesn't sound like much and to be honest it's hard to even see that kind of gap BUT a product that relies on weather seals (as does every other tonneau cover does) can use all the help you can give them. That said, attention to the seals was also a none event. Just bringing it up as I read a lot of reviews about this cover and many others where some folks say they leak and other say they dont. The difference is in the attention the installer takes towards "fit and seal".

By the way, I ran a hose all around the cover at all different angles after I took these photos. No water in the bed. But only time and mother nature will tell for sure.

Overall I am pretty impressed with the quality, design and overall versatility of the cover. I think the cover looks great without drawing attention to it. It does not look "Aftermarket" (I guess that's my own subjective opinion) which was what I was going for.

I'd recommend it.

Last edited by natemare13; 11-19-2016 at 08:56 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by natemare13:
ATL Golfer (12-03-2016), AutoAnything (11-22-2016), freddyb (11-10-2017), ORGB (05-24-2017), Prooney (11-20-2016), Rey L. (11-21-2016), TomT127 (01-06-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

Good review, thanks for sharing! The MX4 a definitely a very solid cover. Looks great on a black truck as well.
The following users liked this post:
Scrum (01-18-2022)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:11 PM

A follow up for everyone on the water tightness of the cover. It rained very hard for a solid 12 hours the other day. The truck was parked out in the open. There was no water in the bed when I checked.

Today I washed the truck. I use a pressure washer and I specifically was not careful around the cover to see how well it held up to a high pressure stream of water. When i checked the bed there no water. I was actually pretty shocked - I was expecting some. the seals are still all very news so I'll update this if I notice them wearing and leaking over time.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is a bakflip when carrying a dirt bike or quad? I strap both tight to the front of the bed, does the cover restrict that?
Old 11-26-2016, 04:50 PM

Does not get in the way unless your tire is higher than the bed rails (side of the bed).
Old 11-26-2016, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a solid trifold cover pretty soon. Any reason you would steer someone away from the MX4 and toward another model? I know a lot of people really love their bakflips.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:14 AM

I would really have to struggle to find a valid reason to steer clear. So, just for you, I did struggle and here is what I came up with: the cover, when fully open and resting on your cab's glass relies on thick rubber bumpers to keep a soft contact between glass and cover. These rubber bumpers are put on during the install process and are self adhesive. I would not be surprised if over time the changing temperatures and humidity loosed the adhesive that holds these on. You would simple need to stick new ones on.

That said I have not heard anyone complain in any reviews about this actually happening. And, in fact, I did note that self adhesive bumpers are pretty standard - as in - iv seen them used on other covers too. Not just Bak.

Like me I said I would have to stretch to find a valid reason to truly steer away.

Iv had the cover for a little bit now ( the Mx4) and every time I use the tail gate I am more and more appreciative of the fact that I don't have to lift the cover to close the tailgate. It amazes me how this is not how all other covers work by default.

i don't think you can go wrong with a backflip. Especially in the price range.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:24 AM

General update. In the last four days it has rained. Drizzle to all out down pour throughout the four days - a good varying degree of wind and rain as well.

I put a moving blanket down in the truck bed and checked it every night. Each day I would drive about 20miles and yesterday I went off roading. So far the bed has stayed dry with one exception. I had the cover open to get something from the truck bed (during a dry period). When I closed the cover I did so without much care. It appears the weather stripping on the side of the cover did not fall flat and that caused a small leak. It was like this for a full day in the rain and the amount of water was minimal (a slow drip).

It confirms my suspicion that all of these covers (not just BAK) rely on weather stripping to seal them and if you do not install/operate it with concern to the weather stripping seating correctly you will likely have a leak. This is most likely why some reviews state covers leak and some state they are bone dry. If you are going to own a cover (any cover), it appears you must give the weather stripping a quick look after you operate it to ensure they are all in the right place.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by echoworx
How is a bakflip when carrying a dirt bike or quad? I strap both tight to the front of the bed, does the cover restrict that?
I just installed a G2 on my '14 SCREW 5.5ft box. I have a 2013 KTM 250 dirt bike... and I can fit in corner to corner and still manage to close the tailgate.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by natemare13
I would really have to struggle to find a valid reason to steer clear. So, just for you, I did struggle and here is what I came up with: the cover, when fully open and resting on your cab's glass relies on thick rubber bumpers to keep a soft contact between glass and cover. These rubber bumpers are put on during the install process and are self adhesive. I would not be surprised if over time the changing temperatures and humidity loosed the adhesive that holds these on. You would simple need to stick new ones on.

That said I have not heard anyone complain in any reviews about this actually happening. And, in fact, I did note that self adhesive bumpers are pretty standard - as in - iv seen them used on other covers too. Not just Bak.

Like me I said I would have to stretch to find a valid reason to truly steer away.

Iv had the cover for a little bit now ( the Mx4) and every time I use the tail gate I am more and more appreciative of the fact that I don't have to lift the cover to close the tailgate. It amazes me how this is not how all other covers work by default.

i don't think you can go wrong with a backflip. Especially in the price range.
Undercover Flex has a model similar to the fibermate but it stays upright w/o leaning against the cab. Price is generally a few dollars cheaper than Bak too...