Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding cruise control to 2009 XL

Old 09-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question adding cruise control to 2009 XL

I've read all of the other threads cconcerning adding cruise control, so I thought that I was ready and would have no problem. But, I can't seem to get it to work.

My 2009 F150 XL came with a solid plastic steering (no blanks) so I purchased (EBay) a leather steering wheel off of a 2009 Lariat that had the cruise control buttons on the left side and buttons on the right for the radio and phone.

I had no trouble removing the old steering and installing the new (used) steering wheels with the buttons.

The back-lights for the buttons work fine and are controlled buy dimming the dashboard lights.

I called the dealer where I purchased the truck and told the service manager that I had installed a steering wheel with buttons and needed him to program the PCM so that the truck would know that it now has cruise control. He told me that he thought that I would need a servo unit to contol the speed....hmmm...maybe that should have been a clue to me that they had never done this before.

He said that he could "flash" the computer so that it would recognize the cruise control.

I took it to the dealer and after about an hour of working on it he told me that he flipped a swith and the truck now thinks that it has cruise contol, but that it is not working and that I need to get whatever else is needed before it will work.

At this point I am thinking either:

a. the dealer's service guy does not know what he is doing and I should call around until I can find somebody who has done this at least once succesfully

or

b. The dealer's service guy is brilliant and maybe the buttons on my used steering wheel are bad and maybe I should get a new set of buttons.

or

c. maybe there really is a missing servo unit that I need (I doubt it)

One thing I noticed is that when I first turn on the ignition and all the indicator lights come on in the dash, I do not see one for the cruise control. Does anybody know if the indicator for the cruise control is supposed to be illuminated when you first turn on the ignition?

I would be be very greatful for any advice. I would love to solve this puzzle, with your help, and be able to enjoy my cruise control!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

you have to have the servo. thats what holds the speed when you push the button. he's not lying to you. the buttons only turn it on and off and itsnt physically your CC.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks for yur response. I guess I underestimated the complexity!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM

Youv'e got it right. Your dealership got it wrong. I have a 2009 xl that had no cruise in it upon delivery. E-bayed a platinum wheel from a test sled wreck from ford, it also had the bluetooth and radio controls. Had many dealerships even the one that i purchased the truck from tell me the same bs that you were given. Luckily i live in dearborn mi where we are 1 of 2 cities that produce this awsome truck and went over to engineering to ask this question. Unfortunatly the maintanance shop was in a middle of a move and could not change the program on my truck but printed me out the procedure and new codes to hand carry over to the dealership. $49.00 and 15 minutes later i now have a fully functional cruise, bluetooth and radio control. As for your problem, it sounds like stupie at the dealership has it all wrong. Your lights on your wheel should only be on if your light switch is on ie; park or running and there is a green indicator that of a rolling tire that will luminate on your dash while engaged. No other things need to be done other than swaping out your wheel with a wheel with your options in it. Awsome job on e-baying i paid $102.00 delivered for my wheel all leather and wood grain that actually matched my interior. Total for a $395.00 upgrade $151.00 priceless. I still have the procedure for this anyone needing this can e-mail me at [email protected] and i will forward it to you. Good luck

Last edited by perchonthis; 10-01-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Captpuzzle, how did you make out? Did you get it working? Do you have a procedure for removing the steering wheel? Where you able to use your original air bag?

Perchonthis, I sent you an email. Do you think you can send me that procedure for enabling the cruise?

I have a 09 XL w/o cruise, and I really want to get one installed.

Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by frankf View Post
captpuzzle, how did you make out? Did you get it working? Do you have a procedure for removing the steering wheel? Where you able to use your original air bag?

Perchonthis, i sent you an email. Do you think you can send me that procedure for enabling the cruise?

I have a 09 xl w/o cruise, and i really want to get one installed.

Thanks in advance, frank.
frank, you will have to give me a fax # so i can fax this over. Captpuzzle never got back with me to let me know. Kinda wondering myself. Good luck mark ;perchonthis;

Last edited by perchonthis; 10-17-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Perchonthis, pm sent
Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

so guys are we saying that any f150 has the capability built right into it and you only have to program the computer to activate it? ie. the servo is already installed just not talking to the computer until the codes are put in?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto View Post
so guys are we saying that any f150 has the capability built right into it and you only have to program the computer to activate it? Ie. The servo is already installed just not talking to the computer until the codes are put in?

No that is not what is being said. What is being said by myself is that a 2009 f150 has this capability. Living in dearborn mich although not quite the garden spot that I would prefer, has its advantages. FMC engineering is about a 1/2 mile from where I live. I have only driven fords mainly trucks all of my life. Talking with these people that work there and I myself am not an engineer, in 2009 they started putting electronic fuel injection in their light trucks. To my understanding any vehicle that has electronic fuel injection can have a cruise control added in this manner if they are lacking one new from production. Believe me it works, I can forward instructions printed from fords internal repair manuals to you just write to [email protected] good luck, mark

I JUST FOUND THE WEB SITE THAT I WAS GOING TO BUY MY WHEEL FROM BACK 4 MONTHS AGO WHEN I BOUGHT MY TRUCK. MY CONTACT AT THE TIME WAS A GUY NAMED MIKE, YOU CAN BUY A 2009 F150 STEERING WHEEL WITH CRUISE DIRECTLY FROM THEM. THEY DONT HAVE WHEELS WITH RADIO CONTROL & PHONE CAPIBILITY BUT IF YOU ARE JUST LOOKING FOR CRUISE CONTROL THESE GUYS ARE THE GO TO PEOPLE. FMC WILL NOT EVEN SELL YOU THE WHEELS OVER THE COUNTER. OR YOU CAN EBAY A WHEEL I HAVE SEEN 2 SINCE GETTING MINE ON EBAY 4 MONTHS AGO. ANY WAY YOU LOOK AT IT, CRUISE CONTROL IS A MUST HAVE OPTION. GOOD LUCK, MARK WWW.MNRELECTRONICS.COM

I AM GETTING ALOT OF READERS WANTING THIS INFO. SO WHAT I WILL DO IS SCAN THESE 2 PAGES OF DIRECTIONS OF FLASHING YOUR COMPUTER, ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO THIS ON THIS SITE. GUESS I WILL GO ASK MY 10 YEAR OLD IT WILL BE FASTER. LOL AND C U SOON PERCHONTHIS

Last edited by perchonthis; 10-17-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Default 2009 cruise control factory add on

Thanks frankf for the pdf file of the procedures that I faxed you! Unfortunately the file was too large for f150 forum.com to read. Anyways you have my blessings seeing you were thinking and scribbled out my name glad someone was thinking, go ahead and post those 3 pages so everyone who wants to add factory cruise on their 2009 f-150 does not have to dance around as much as did ourselves. Stopped by engineering today and the boys are gonna work on the interchange part we talked about. Good luck mark

Last edited by perchonthis; 10-23-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: adding cruise control to 2009 XL

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: