Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 startune 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 startune 2011 5.0

alright I have the 2011 5.0 f150 xlt

it is all stock and I am sold on the 5 star programer. but I would like a few questions actually answered from consumers of 5 star. I have read how great it is and have seen the charts ( that make no sense to me, because the 5.0 is supposed to put out 360 hp stock and the charts indicate much less then that) and I might add nobody has actually answerd any of these questions yet they mostly just talk about how great 5 star is.
so how much hp will I gain with 87 tune and the 91 tune?
how much gasmilage will be gained on the echo tune?
and what will the 0-60 be with the new tunes.

I have never run a dyno on a car and I have never read a dyno chart so it is basicaly means diddly to me.. thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Some of the other members might be able to better explain, but power from the engine is slowly robbed throughout the drive-train by the time it hits the wheels. The power that Ford and every other manufacture advertises is from the crank. The power on the dyno charts you've been seeing is power at the wheels. All of those moving parts have some sort of friction that turns that energy into heat instead of transferring it to the wheels.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgia FX4
Some of the other members might be able to better explain, but power from the engine is slowly robbed throughout the drive-train by the time it hits the wheels. The power that Ford and every other manufacture advertises is from the crank. The power on the dyno charts you've been seeing is power at the wheels. All of those moving parts have some sort of friction that turns that energy into heat instead of transferring it to the wheels.
This.

You can expect anywhere from about 15-20% drive train loss, and boat loads more in 4wd
Old 08-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered earlier this week and should have it by today so I'll keep you posted on my results
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm thanks well keep us updated on the the changes.. 12nmford
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I received it Friday and finally today had time to play with it today. I first have to say thanks to great customer service from Mike at 5 star. He answered the phone when I called and was knowledgeable at answering any questions I had, that's what ultimately finalized my decision on buying the tuner from him.
I'll start by explaining my setup, it's a 2012 5.0 screw 4x4 with the 3:73 gearing. The rest of the drivetrain on truck is stock. Stock height tires and all. I also live at 6500ft and I know this makes a big difference as well.
As far as results I have only loaded and drove around on one of the 5 custom tunes which is the "87 tow/performance". The truck definitely performs better, not just at full throttle but just the throttle response and shift points and firmness. It's also much quicker and now the tranny feels like the gears are much better matched to the engine powerband. I've only put about 50 miles with this tune so it's only my first impressions for now. I normally only use this truck on weekends but I will be driving it to work all week and on a trip next weekend so I can give a much better review with all the tunes and mileage. That's it for now but so far I'm very happy with the purchase easily worth the money :-)
Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered a SCT livewire TS from 5star tuning along with an AFE intake. It will be here tomo according to Fed-ex. I'll be sure to add my observations to this thread once I have some.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Any updates?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 2013 5.0 SCREW with 3.31 gears, Roush CAI, and a Roush exhaust. I ordered an SCT LiveWire from Mike at 5Star Tuning close to a month ago and I am more than pleased with my decision of choosing them as my tuner. The truck has woke up from its factory ECU Coma. I have ran my LiveWire on 87eco, 87performance, and 93performance. They all feel great but I have been running the 93performance for about 2.5weeks now just because it gives the most power out of the tunes. Both of the performance tunes that I have will throw you in the seat and are friggin awesome. The 87eco gave me a nice jump in mpg's and I will probably be switching back to that tune on the next tank of gas. I wouldnt hesitate to order from them again because the overall buying experience was great. The customer service was excellent, they didnt care about all the questions that I asked, and I didnt feel pressured to purchase anything. I even decided to go ahead and buy the American Racing Headers from them and had 2 of my tunes put on the LiveWire to incorporate the headers. Do your truck a favor and get a tuner from them, you definitely wont be disappointed.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine and initially ran the 87 octane performance tune along with the AFE cold air intake I installed at the same time. Truck was completely different. Much more responsive and shifted better. Ran this tune until the tank was nearly empty and filled up with 93 octane and switched to the 93 octane performance tune, which again was another huge difference. The truck is a monster now. I love it, until its time to buy gas again.

The only trouble I had was nowhere did I ever see that you cant easily run SCT software on a Mac computer. I ended up having to borrow a computer off my mom with windows to properly load the tunes into the software and onto the tuner. Overall, I'm extremely happy. 5 star tuning shipped everything fast and was packaged safe. They answered all my emails within a matter of minutes. I highly recommend this set up

Quick Reply: 5 startune 2011 5.0