Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 F150 5.0 Magnaflow exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry 2019 F150 5.0 Magnaflow exhaust

Folks, don't waste your money on this exhaust. There is no deep rumble like on previous Magnaflow systems and it's not a true cat back like advertised. It starts behind the small front muffler, not at the catalytic converter as advertised. I had the Magnaflow cat back on my 2010 4.6 F150 and it produced the deep rumble everyone likes. The 2019 system is barely louder than the stock exhaust. What a waste of $950.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:32 AM

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Which one? 19054? 19203? Please elaborate.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 AM

Part number 19080. They're still advertising it as a cat back even though it isn't
Old 05-17-2019, 09:47 AM

Hmm. I'm not arguing - I just wanna learn, because I do not yet have my truck to run outside and look...

So there's a factory resonator mounted behind (downstream) of the cataclysmic perverter? I see what you mean when you observe that "They're still advertising it as a cat back even though it isn't"

Therefore - this evaluation suggests that the OE resonator is dulling (quieting) the sound noticeably.

Therefore - the sound quality/volume/timbre that you (and I) seek and enjoy needs to have a CBE that removes the OE resonator.

Sadly, none of the others (19054, 19083 & 19079) specify whether they meet this criterion.

Which makes the following question significant:

Can the OE resonator be removed without cutting? I'm betting it cannot, which is a drag.

Last edited by ronemca; 05-17-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM

#19054 appears to eliminate the OE resonator. If you look on the picture, the front pipe shows the oval connector that bolts to the catalytic converter pipe. The Rousch system also eliminates the OE resonator. The OE resonator bolts onto the cat pipe, so all Magnaflow would have to do is supply a pipe that is the length of the OE resonator. If they did that, then this would be a true cat back system.
I'm already stuck with my system, I just wanted to let other forum members know about magnaflow systems so they could make an informed decision.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 AM

Right! Thanks for that. And - thanks for helping to educate & inform the rest of us. Helpful tips like this are the meat & potatoes of these forums!

(Or...the pizza. Yeah - the pizza)

Last edited by ronemca; 05-17-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

I installed the Magnaflow 19054 system on my 2018 5.0L. You are correct that it does not include a new resonator nor does it use the factory resonator. However, for my taste it was too loud without one and there was a really annoying interior drone at about 2000 RPM. I went through three aftermarket resonators which were all 3" ID before I finally put the 2.5" ID factory resonator back on. My truck is a crew cab. Even with the smaller ID factory resonator there is still some drone but the hot idle sound is much quieter while the WOT sound is still very aggressive, which is what I was really after.
However, I would still like to find a cure for that damn drone. The 19054 system uses a single 3"ID inlet on the muffler and two 2.5" outlet pipes that exit side by side in front of the passenger side rear tire. My next attempt is going to be an electric shutoff valve installed in the front outlet pipe. My theory is that with the valve closed the sound, and hopefully the drone, should be much less since all of the exhaust will be exiting through the rear pipe only and I can still open the valve when I need more grunt or just want to make some noise. If that works I will probably try going back to the 6"OD x 3"ID x 14" long Magnaflow resonator which was the last one I tried before going back to the 2.5"ID factory resonator.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:05 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the Gibson 69221 - its a stainless kit and deletes the resonator. Install can be a bit of a pain as the outlet from the muffler is a pair or side swipe pipes, but I'm happy with it. Muffler is a flow thru, col start is pretty aggressive, idle sounds good, full throttle is nasty!

There is a little drone under moderate load at around 2,000 rpm...but the Borla and Stainless Works chambered I had on the previous two trucks and the catless 2.5in Magnaflow system on my '96 Thunderbird all had the same drone.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:04 AM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
I have the Gibson 69221 - its a stainless kit and deletes the resonator. Install can be a bit of a pain as the outlet from the muffler is a pair or side swipe pipes, but I'm happy with it. Muffler is a flow thru, col start is pretty aggressive, idle sounds good, full throttle is nasty!

There is a little drone under moderate load at around 2,000 rpm...but the Borla and Stainless Works chambered I had on the previous two trucks and the catless 2.5in Magnaflow system on my '96 Thunderbird all had the same drone.
Interesting. I was assuming the side exit under the cab was a big reason for the interior drone with the Magnaflow 19054. Yours exits behind the rear axle and you still have it. I had a Magnaflow system on my previous vehicle, a V8 Sport Trac, and there was zero drone at any RPM. It was a single system and exited behind the axle on the driver side. I had that exhaust on the Sport Trac for about eleven years and at least 150k miles and was still fine when I traded it on my 2018 F-150. IMO that was a perfect system and I was hoping the same would be true for the 19054 on the F-150. The Coyote 5.0L uses a different firing order than the 4.6L 3V in my old Trac and I suppose that could be a factor as well.

Quick Reply: 2019 F150 5.0 Magnaflow exhaust