Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F 150 Tailgate Lightbar Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 F 150 Tailgate Lightbar Question

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and just got a 2016 F 150 Supercrew, I love the truck but I noticed that some areas using the back up camera at night with no other lights around can be difficult, I was looking at maybe adding a light bar across the back to increase light for the camera. My question is does anyone know of a better idea or solution that I can do, the truck is a lease so I don't want to do to much in terms of drilling holes for the bar or 3m tape incase I cant get it off in case I turn it in and don't purchase it at the end. I was looking at a lighted hitch cover but not sure which one, also I don't know if it will activate the trailer system the truck has once something is connected to one of the plugs. Thanks in advance. Also is it a pretty much known fact that I should just try to back in every time I am able to into a parking spot, or pull thru and park in the back? I have been a bit leery to pull straight in yet because of not knowing how it would be backing out of a parking lot. Thank you

Last edited by sparty31; 04-04-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I recommend first trying something cheap and easy. Try a set of these reverse light LED bulbs. They'll give you a LOT more light output then the stock halogen, and last longer:

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-back...15-ford-f-150/

You can put the halogen back in before returning your lease if you want as well.

LED (left) vs Stock (right)

It's by far the easiest and what should be one of the first things any F150 owner does.

Your other option if you want to drill 2 holes is to install some lights back there. I put in these 2 7" AuxBeam lights, which add a LOT of light, BUT you will have to drill 2 mounting holes, and run wire. You can tap into your reverse lights with a relay so you can avoid putting in a switch if you like:

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/7-36w-cr...d-light-flood/

LED Reverse Bulbs Only

AuxBeam 7" Lights (I need to adjust them so they throw the light out more, this was after the install)

As for your question regarding "should I back in" - personal preference. I actually find it easier to back this truck in than my old Nissan Frontier. Because of the reverse camera and it's just easier when I pull out. I'd rather back into a pole or something pulling into a spot then risk backing into a PERSON when trying to pull out of a spot. With the camera I also know how far back I'm going and can back exactly into the spot rather then trying to judge where the front of my truck is (I've only had the truck 2 months). I also have a light bar on the front of my truck so that adds some equipment I could potentially break if I pull in too far and hit something.

Last edited by 230748; 04-05-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:56 AM

Thank you for the reply, I looked at the LED bulbs before, are they just a quick swap? I saw some articles others have written where they said you need to add a resistor with it and some bulbs have the option to get a ballast with it, I do like the look the LEDs give the truck more over the stock also. I like the look of the light bars on the F150s I have seen also, I just am not sure how easy it is to remove the 3m tape in two years when I turn it in.

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
I recommend first trying something cheap and easy. Try a set of these reverse light LED bulbs. They'll give you a LOT more light output then the stock halogen, and last longer:

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-back...15-ford-f-150/

You can put the halogen back in before returning your lease if you want as well.

LED (left) vs Stock (right)

It's by far the easiest and what should be one of the first things any F150 owner does.

Your other option if you want to drill 2 holes is to install some lights back there. I put in these 2 7" AuxBeam lights, which add a LOT of light, BUT you will have to drill 2 mounting holes, and run wire. You can tap into your reverse lights with a relay so you can avoid putting in a switch if you like:

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/7-36w-cr...d-light-flood/

LED Reverse Bulbs Only

AuxBeam 7" Lights (I need to adjust them so they throw the light out more, this was after the install)

As for your question regarding "should I back in" - personal preference. I actually find it easier to back this truck in than my old Nissan Frontier. Because of the reverse camera and it's just easier when I pull out. I'd rather back into a pole or something pulling into a spot then risk backing into a PERSON when trying to pull out of a spot. With the camera I also know how far back I'm going and can back exactly into the spot rather then trying to judge where the front of my truck is (I've only had the truck 2 months). I also have a light bar on the front of my truck so that adds some equipment I could potentially break if I pull in too far and hit something.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Yes the reverse bulbs are a quick swap. They do not require a load resistor at all, because it's just a light turning on/off. The rear blinkers do require a Load Resistor though (easy enough install). Pretty much anything that is on and gets BRIGHTER for a 2nd purpose, would require a load resistor (the rear on the F-150, the rear stop light is also the blinker so it gets brighter when you stop and brighter when you use your blinker)... same for the front, that orange bulb for your blinker. It's on when lights are on and then gets brighter when you use the blinker... so that requires a load resistor.

All the other lights are straight swap outs.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:02 AM

Thank you for all the info, I will look into those bulbs and give them a try.

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Yes the reverse bulbs are a quick swap. They do not require a load resistor at all, because it's just a light turning on/off. The rear blinkers do require a Load Resistor though (easy enough install). Pretty much anything that is on and gets BRIGHTER for a 2nd purpose, would require a load resistor (the rear on the F-150, the rear stop light is also the blinker so it gets brighter when you stop and brighter when you use your blinker)... same for the front, that orange bulb for your blinker. It's on when lights are on and then gets brighter when you use the blinker... so that requires a load resistor.

All the other lights are straight swap outs.

Quick Reply: 2016 F 150 Tailgate Lightbar Question