Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sacrilege? anyone modded their Raptor for pavement performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 12:48 AM

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Default sacrilege? anyone modded their Raptor for pavement performance?

OK, i know I am going to get flamed here but honestly I am not trolling!

I am considering replacing my 16 Lariat with a Raptor. But I have to be totally honest, it would see very little real off-road use. (Plenty of winter/snow use since I live at 6500' in the mountains) . So really I would prefer to optimize a raptor more towards on-road performance (Lariat has 20s, 5100s and ARB so decent road manners) . So, has anyone done anything along the lines? Any thoughts? and no, I dont want a Limited...
Old 04-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Mine already performs well on pavement so I haven't seen the need to change anything.I wasn't crazy about the stock wheels so I have different wheels and tires. I didn't want to lose the cushy ride so I stayed with the stock size.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:10 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,451 Likes on 961 Posts

Why buy a Raptor and modify its off-road designed suspension for the street? Just buy a Limited if you want the more powerful engine.

Last edited by BadAV; 04-27-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BadAV
Why buy a Raptor and modify its off-road designed suspension for the street? Just buy a Limited if you want the more powerful engine.
because The raptor gives a better base platform to work from. And to make the limited handle well would still require suspension investment

and of course because I am being honest about the use - unlike the 80% plus of raptors which only see off- road in the parking lot....
Old 04-30-2019, 08:44 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

the whole benefit of the raptor is the suspension travel. By lowering it, you're just eliminating the suspension travel. Add in the likely bigger wheels/performance tires, it's even worse.
Not a good platform to start with for on-road. that's not what it's built for. Drop spindles, etc? Just get a reg cab F150 for that.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,451 Likes on 961 Posts

I can understand buying a Raptor because you like the better (softer) on-road ride versus any of the regular 4X4 F-150 suspensions. If you start modifying that suspension for on-road performance you start removing that nice on-road ride and moving towards what you get with a regular 4X4 F-150.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to understand what you intend to do/accomplish.

I modified a 2002 Z71 Avalanche for street performance by lowering the rear 3", adding stiffer anti-sway bars, camming it, adding a pullied down MP112 Magnacharger, a 2600 stall, headers, and 305/55/20 V-speed rated wheels and tires. 285 hp stock, 475 when finished with modifications. It was a blast to drive; the Avalanche has a near ideal 52/48 F/R weight distribution, which certainly helps handling.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I would recommend buying a 19. Do a intake, intercooler, turbo adapters, downpipes and a tune. You'll be happy with the rest.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't say the thought, fleeting as it may be, hasn't crossed my mind, but the only thing I thought about was less aggressive tires. As I'm not an automotive genius, far from it in fact, I don't even know what improvement, if any, it would bring. The truck has a good ride on road already. I love the way it looks with the big aggressive tires and wouldn't change a thing, in spite of the fact I go off road once a year for 2 weeks in Utah.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts
Lightbulb

I was on the fence between 2019 Raptor or 2019 Limited. Considering I won't be off-roading, there are no mountains anywhere near Florida, no snow and almost all driving is highway, it was a no-brainer to go with the 2019 Limited, which shares the same 450 HP/ 510 lb.-ft torque, H.O. 3.5L twin-turbo EcoBoost engine as the Raptor.

While I have no doubt that the Raptor is the best overall off-road/ highway pickup manufactured today, the Limited is most certainly the best highway driving truck you can buy today. It is close to 150 lb lighter, much faster, not as tall and much quieter inside the cabin by more than 10 decibels (see track sheet links below).

IMO, the only fault on the Limited is the choice of rims/ tires with low-profile Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico, P275/45R-22. They could've used a tire profile with more rubber, but that is much easier to change (which several 2019 Limited owner's have done) than to try and switch the Raptor to a highway-only truck. Also keep in mind that the Limited comes with nearly every single option included with very few add-ons - spray-in Toughbed, side-steps, tailgate step.

Here's a comprehensive review of the 2019 Limited which you can compare to the Raptor review below
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
2019 Limited Track Sheet results, specs and dimensions
https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/fi...1544111213.pdf

Here's the Nov-2018 test for the Raptor (need to scroll down)
https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150-raptor
Raptor Track Sheet results, specs and dimensions
https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/fi...1541434091.pdf

Originally Posted by Scotsskier
OK, i know I am going to get flamed here but honestly I am not trolling!

I am considering replacing my 16 Lariat with a Raptor. But I have to be totally honest, it would see very little real off-road use. (Plenty of winter/snow use since I live at 6500' in the mountains) . So really I would prefer to optimize a raptor more towards on-road performance (Lariat has 20s, 5100s and ARB so decent road manners) . So, has anyone done anything along the lines? Any thoughts? and no, I dont want a Limited...
Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 PM

That would be the limited that has the HO engine - but the same suspension as any other F150 , which needs to be changed out to Bilstein 5100 as a minimum as a first step to have any sort of decent handling.....

and of course conditions at 6500’ in the mountains are a bit different from FL.....

Quick Reply: sacrilege? anyone modded their Raptor for pavement performance?