Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor vs. Mule Deer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor vs. Mule Deer

Last Friday, I was driving south on FM 118 and a mule deer doe ran out at full speed (left to right). I had little chance to react, but didn't do anything drastic as any drastic action would likely only make me lose control of the truck and trailer. I hit her square on. As you might have guessed, the impact was far worse for her than it was for the Raptor. The truck operated fine (with the exception of the adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance system). If I can figure out how to upload images here, I'll post a photo of the front end.

But now I'm back home and will likely take this opportunity to upgrade the front bumper to an aftermarket bumper. Any advice on which bumper out there is a good option would be welcomed. I might want a winch. Definitely I'll either want to keep my existing light bar or add more light bars to the front. Also, the skid plate appears to be damaged. So any thoughts on replacement front skids is also welcome.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Here

KHC has a good looking front bumper. Typically the skid plate is part of what is replaced also.
The following users liked this post:
Dahveed (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 169 Likes on 117 Posts

What light bar is that and how is it attached?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by RedX

I'm not sure. It was put on by the prior owner. Those are rigid lights in the ends of the bumper. I'll look at it later and get back to you.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Why not get a bumper with a little more protection? Like this: Fab Fours Vengeance Bumper

Surprised your stock bumper help up so well though.
The following users liked this post:
Dahveed (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tuflehundon
Why not get a bumper with a little more protection? Like this: Fab Fours Vengeance Bumper

I was very pleased how the stock bumper/skid held up. Nothing critical was damaged in the strike. And I hit her squarely and hard. What helped here was she was running as fast as she could and was therefore very low. Had she been trotting, she would have stuck higher and done some body damage as well.

That's a cool looking bumper, and I like how it protects the grill.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Dahveed
I was very pleased how the stock bumper/skid held up. Nothing critical was damaged in the strike. And I hit her squarely and hard. What helped here was she was running as fast as she could and was therefore very low. Had she been trotting, she would have stuck higher and done some body damage as well.

That's a cool looking bumper, and I like how it protects the grill.
I don't have a Raptor, but am looking to get that same brand and version of bumper for my truck. I almost hit 2 deer driving in the mountains on vacation last year. Luckily for me it was on windy roads and I was able to see them soon enough and stop. one day I may not be able to stop. I want more protection for the grill. Or more accurately, what's behind it.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tuflehundon

if he runs his raptor fast off-road in desert conditions it’s better to keep the bumpers light. Much harder on the suspension when you add a heavy bumper and a winch. I know from personal experience. My truck is not setup as a go fast off-road machine like the raptor.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 441 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by RedX
it is a Putco
Old 01-26-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I and my family have hit a number of deer over the years, mainly in sedans though, where the damage was much worse. That’s not bad at all. I like the ADD bumpers but you’ll also need to buy a bracket to relocate the ACC.

Quick Reply: Raptor vs. Mule Deer