Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Dipstick Readability Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Dipstick Readability Problem

Hello.

I've been having a difficult time reading the oil dipstick on my 2017 Raptor. Anybody have any tips they can post to help me read it?

Background:
I've been working on cars since 1996, simple stuff like oil changes, brakes, etc.

I bought the Raptor, and did not check the oil level. I assumed it was a-okay. On my first oil change at 7K miles, 4.5 qt came out. (I also changed the oil filter) I poured 6.0 qt straight in without checking the dipstick.

I did my second oil change at 14K miles and again 4.5 qt came out. (I also changed the oil filter).
This time I read the dipstick, and it shows it's way too high. So I tried unsuccessfully to pump some oil out with a hand pump from the dipstick tube. Did not work, so I just drained the oil out from the underside, leaving the oil filter on the truck. I checked the dipstick, and it still is too high. I let it sit for 30 minutes, and it still shows too high. Probably residue in the dipstick tube, but I just can't figure out where the residue ends and oil level begins. I expected to learn how to read the residue with an empty oil pan, but I just cannot seem to make sense of it.

For reference, I'm using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil and the Mobil 1 Filter that goes with it.

Maybe when I used the hand pump, it smeared oil all inside the dipstick tube and that's what I'm getting.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 203 Likes on 129 Posts

I find the best time to check the oil is after it has set all night. All you have to do is pull the dip stick and read it. Oil will have drained into pan and out of dip stick tube.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:57 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Wait about 30 minutes for ALL the oil to drain

Quick Reply: Oil Dipstick Readability Problem