Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor Off-Road Causing Intercooler Issues???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Minor Off-Road Causing Intercooler Issues???

Anyone else having any issues when taking the raptor off-road. I live in the mountains of VA and sold my 16 Silverado Z71 Midnight to get a 17 Raptor. I frequent state and national park forest roads to go mountain biking. I wanted a truck that can handle gravel, minor road mud, and steep hills. The Z71 has no issues in 2 years. But after my first winter trip to the mountains, my Raptor has an ungodly vibration and noise. Upon dealer inspection, some mud had gotten above skid plate and then intercooler fan blew it and packed it against the intercooler. I’m now very skeptical the truck is just an asphalt cruiser with fancy shocks than a true capable vehicle. If the intercooler required for a 3.5 instead of the 6.2 is necessary shouldn’t it be able to handle forest road mud? This is my first post here. I joined to inquire about real concern. I’m fighting with dealer now that fan and intercooler should be replaced under warranty. They cited fine print that those parts should be cleaned after any off-road. Tells me it’s a known concern that I was not told about when purchasing a 67k off-road dream that for some reason can’t handle some minor mud.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Minor road mud??? That thing is packed. Looks to me that it has been submerged. Yes, the intercooler requires maintenance and cleaning. Just like all heat exchangers. I use mine offroad and have never had mine that packed full. Part of my regular wash routine includes hosing out the I/C. If I have been offroad I am very diligent about making sure it is clean. Look at where it is located. It is going to pick up debris. Looks to me like you have had mud/water at least to the top of the bumper. Buy the Full Race I/C it moves up much higher in the grill.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
Minor road mud??? That thing is packed. Looks to me that it has been submerged. Yes, the intercooler requires maintenance and cleaning. Just like all heat exchangers. I use mine offroad and have never had mine that packed full. Part of my regular wash routine includes hosing out the I/C. If I have been offroad I am very diligent about making sure it is clean. Look at where it is located. It is going to pick up debris. Looks to me like you have had mud/water at least to the top of the bumper. Buy the Full Race I/C it moves up much higher in the grill.
It was never submerged. Just a really wet forest road with some small ruts about 2ft deep that dipped front with some splashing. My thought is the clay in these mountains is extremely gummy. Step on it and your shoe pulls back a lb or more. Just thought it would have been better protected. As mentioned my Tahoes and Silverados never had issues so I didn’t think a Raptor would have required any more care. I’m aware now and would have washed it upon arriving at the mountain house had I known but it sat all weekend and dried.
Do have the link to that race IC and does it include a fan setup. Figure it’s cheaper than replacing factory.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor4MTB

It was never submerged. Just a really wet forest road with some small ruts about 2ft deep that dipped front with some splashing. My thought is the clay in these mountains is extremely gummy. Step on it and your shoe pulls back a lb or more. Just thought it would have been better protected. As mentioned my Tahoes and Silverados never had issues so I didn’t think a Raptor would have required any more care. I’m aware now and would have washed it upon arriving at the mountain house had I known but it sat all weekend and dried.
Do have the link to that race IC and does it include a fan setup. Figure it’s cheaper than replacing factory.
The factory one is much cheaper. https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...MtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz
Old 03-22-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor4MTB

Tahoes and Silverados don't have turbo's either..

You might have been better off with the old gen raptor with the 6.2, or waited for the 7.0

Turbos always make for more maintenance and diligence just due to the complexity of the extra moving parts.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by UnkLeRaRa
Tahoes and Silverados don't have turbo's either..

You might have been better off with the old gen raptor with the 6.2, or waited for the 7.0

Turbos always make for more maintenance and diligence just due to the complexity of the extra moving parts.
unfortunately I realize that now. Hadn’t gotten a firm confirm on a 7.0 anyway so I was ok with the 3.5 when it was the raptor . Used to tease my ford buddies about their v6 with my 6.2 Silverado. Now I tease myself.
The following users liked this post:
UnkLeRaRa (03-23-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:24 PM

Dealer agreed to pull the fan and intercooler and clean for this first time only. They were able to steam them to fully clean them. Installed and problems gone.
The following users liked this post:
Silver-Bolt (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Here is the Full Race unit. Not cheap. https://www.full-race.com/store/ecob...c-upgrade-kit/

Quick Reply: Minor Off-Road Causing Intercooler Issues???