Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest truth

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:25 PM
"FTW"

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Honest truth

I am thinking about getting a Raptor (11 Scab ).....I know of no one who owns one and I want a truthful account of the vehicle by a true owner. Yes I will be going off road with it. Thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry...I have a SCrew Cab Raptor but if that counts.....GET IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:45 AM
"FTW"

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, I am leaning that way.....all I was looking for was owners who could give pros and cons on the truck.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Tat2thor
Thanks, I am leaning that way.....all I was looking for was owners who could give pros and cons on the truck.
I was daily driving a Range Rover Sport Supercharged, traded to a 2010 Raptor Scab. I wouldn't go back for anything.

Pros:
plenty of power - absolutely awesome passing power. It jumps from 60-90 in the blink of an eye.
very comfortable seats
more sporty handling than you would expect in a truck
very stable
unique ride - almost feels like riding a giant quad

Cons:
13-15mpg
pain in the *** to park
mine is tuxedo black - I HATE the bass boat paintjob
there is no ****ing reason for the engine block to be made out of iron
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an "original" owner (meaning I have one of the first 5.4s, ordered before the 6.2s were available).

WarSurfer has it right. And even though I "only" have the "boat anchor" 5.4, I totally agree on the power, so that 6.2l will no doubt do ya even better.

I haven't found parking it to be too much trouble, honestly. Then again, I don't tend to opt for the closest spots anyway... got sick of all the door dings long before the Raptor. So I usually find myself further away and usually that means fewer cars around, and therefore easier parking.

Having said that, the backup camera IMHO is a must. Never had one before, but I'll never have a truck this big again without one. Its become an indispensable tool, and not just for parking.

The handling is crazy good for something this big, this high riding on these tires. I enjoy a "spirited" drive from time to time thru my relatively hilly twisties, and I particularly enjoy taking a passenger with me. One guy in particular (a fellow road racing buddy) was floored by how well the truck dug into the corners. Had to peel him out of the seat actually

Can't speak to the black paint since mine's white. Been there done that never again with black. White looks clean almost always, and looks even more bad *** when covered in roosterail thrown mud

A con might be to check your garage/parking situation at home. I'm lucky in that my garage can handle it both in length width and height, but it seems that's a relative rarity. Lots of my buds need to park it outside, which again should probably be a consideration when choosing your color.

Another con might be those sorry excuses for running boards. They're really steps, and do a fine job of hanging up on any and everything on the trail (in all but the flat stuff, I should say). I ditched mine and have been much happier. I'm tall though, so if you're on the shorter side that might not be an option as it will probably be impossible to get in and out without a step there. I plan to add real rock sliders with an integrated step on the pass side, when finances allow.

In that same vein, the undercarriage could be better protected. Especially if you plan to roll over boulders.

Beyond that though... its been single best automotive purchase I've made. I'll stay in a Raptor for as long as they make them, and probably for a long time after even that.

Feel free to ask any/all specific questions. I own/run another forum dedicated to the Raptor, so if I don't know the answer odds are someone over there will. Always happy to help.

Last edited by Jason; 08-01-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the top speed of any of the raptors
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100mph from the factory. You can raise that to whatever you want via a 3rd party tuner.

By the way, its 100mph because that's right below the rating on the tires. Be careful if you push too much further than that, without first upgrading your rubber.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford power350
Does anyone know the top speed of any of the raptors
right at 100 (99) I think. its limited by the computer. If you get a tuner to remove the limiter, it will run up to 140 easy. I wouldn't go that fast on the factory bfg's though.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM

Bfgs?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
100mph from the factory. You can raise that to whatever you want via a 3rd party tuner.

By the way, its 100mph because that's right below the rating on the tires. Be careful if you push too much further than that, without first upgrading your rubber.
What tires would you suggest?

Quick Reply: Honest truth