Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford raptor over kill ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ford raptor over kill ?

I currently have a 2019 ford raptor that I purchased in late December. It is my second raptor. I love the raptor. I feel it is hands down the best looking truck today. I live in maine on the coast. Most of my driving, 80 to 90 percent, is on pavement. WE do not have deserts here and there is no place to put this truck airborne or jump it. There is really no place to utilize the new crawl control feature here in maine as most of our off roading is in gravel pits or on paper company owned land in northern maine with wide gravel roads that the paper company's built. So basically I will be lucky to utilize 50 percent of this trucks true capability. Up here the off road trails are just wide enough for a ford ranger with very Little Rock crawling involved.

So why did I buy my second ford raptor ? Here are the things I love about the ford raptor :

1) LOOKS !
2) INTERIOR.
3) SEATS. The seats in the ford raptor are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in, in a vehicle, including some $ 100,000.00 high end European/japanesse cars.
4) Engine sound. I personally love the sound of the stock exhaust and the HO eco boost engine. I will get bashed for this.
5) Driving/handling. especially with the live shocks, although the raptor is terrible in the snow = that is a tire issue.
6) Performance. I love the engine and torque in this truck. Very fast at 5800 pounds.
7) I love the technology that ford included in the raptor.
8) great multi purpose do anything vehicle from going hunting to going out to dinner.

So why am I wondering if the raptor is over kill ? because of where I live. I probably would be better off with a SUV ( Lexus lx 570) or maybe a ford platinum F 150. I do use the back bed, as this winter I have had 800 pounds of payload in the bed 4 times already. And I do a lot of hunting. The last 2 years both of my bucks have gone in the back bed to take to the tagging station. Could I do these things in a Lexus LX 570 or a Ford Expedition ? Yes, it's called cargo carriers/haulers. As much as I love the Raptor I feel I am doing the truck a disservice by not really utilizing it for what it is truly made for. To much time on the pavement for such a high caliber desert racing truck.

Just curious if other raptor forum members who live in area's like me feel the same way. Remember New England is not Colorado, Arizona, or Nevada. I love the truck to death but I feel like being here on the coast of maine it is nothing more than a trophy truck.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Very few trucks are ever used to their full capability. It's about driving what you want/love.

Same goes with cars. My DD was not made to poke around town but it's what I want to drive. That's all that matters.

Enjoy your Raptor, if you don't someone else will.
The following 2 users liked this post by idrive:
chimmike (02-28-2019), NASSTY (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
Very few trucks are ever used to their full capability. It's about driving what you want/love.

Same goes with cars. My DD was not made to poke around town but it's what I want to drive. That's all that matters.

I agree with what you are saying. And I think someone else will be enjoying my dream truck. I love the raptor, but I just can not see it being actually used or enjoyed for what it is meant to be, especially living on the coast of maine.

The raptor was built and made for people who live in states like California , Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, and Texas , not coastal New England. It was just real bad foresight on my part. Luckily I own the truck outright so all I have to " stomach" is the depreciation hit at trade in.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive

X2
I don't care what my Raptor was built to do. It is the most comfortable fun to drive truck I've ever owned and I've owned a lot in the last 35 years. I probably live about 2500 miles from the nearest desert, chances are my truck will never see a desert. I don't care, it cuts through snow like nothing and rides better on pavement than my previous trucks. After driving this truck for 2 years I don't think I could go back to a non-Raptor.
The following 3 users liked this post by NASSTY:
Blockaderunner (09-03-2019), idrive (02-22-2019), MDJAK (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Raptor has always been overkill for probably 99% of the people that buy it. People buy it because they want the looks like a tough offroad vehicle, but they would never even take it down a dirt road. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it, its no different than owning a 500hp sports car and never taking it to the track. I literally just bought my truck for a winter vehicle. It just sits in the garage all summer unless I need to haul something. I probably didn't need to buy a truck just for that, but here we are.

Most people could probably get away with a minimal option XLT and in many cases probably don't need a truck at all. At the end of the day its your vehicle that you're paying for. We will all have excuses why we chose one way or the other to justify our decisions to people we will never meet or know on the internet.

Last edited by RubyRed18; 02-22-2019 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
idrive (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Drive whatever truck you want. Thank God we still have that freedom to choose
The following 2 users liked this post by KILOFINAL:
MDJAK (02-22-2019), NASSTY (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 07:17 AM

Received 3,522 Likes on 1,689 Posts

The pendulum of affluence swings two ways and is never static. Ford has achieved a monumental and successful moment in their long manufacturing tenure in creating the SVT Raptor. Its place in history is now permanent. When a vehicle can be advertised and pictured and then recognized when crossing the desert at speed, by the parking lights amber glow, you have created an American icon.

Owning one is a celebration and a certifiable achievement on the hierarchy of masculinity. When simply observing a Raptor in the showroom creates pure adolescent inspired enjoyment and pleasure, we have a Marilyn Monroe class, dream-about-it, shake in that affluence pendulum swing. "I'm too poor to get one" to "I'm too rich and got one" but either way "I WANT ONE!"

Thus the story of legends and why men go to war. God, country and the dream of potently affording and owning an icon.

So, is the Raptor "overkill?" Dang right it is.

Last edited by SPOAT; 02-23-2019 at 07:25 AM.
KILOFINAL (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 07:42 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by ME120
Luckily I own the truck outright so all I have to " stomach" is the depreciation hit at trade in.
The Raptor will probably depreciate less than whatever you trade it in for.
KILOFINAL (02-23-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey you did right!
buy it drive it if it snows your all good
i bought a decent one owner 2o11 and i am bringing to my house in cabo san lucas next week
i dont jump or go crazy but when my kids get stuck running down the beach or when theres a hurricane i can get from a to b

plus just saying raptor is rad

have fun

capt jeff
Old 03-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New to Raptor after coming from high end F150s and NEVER going back. This 19 is unreal upgrade from the regular trucks. The ride is phenomenal, I think its like a damn snowmobile in snow so not sure what your seeing. They are so much better then a regular F150 its not even funny. Mine is also a pavement queen but I don't care. I am actively looking for areas I can play offroad in though! I want to jump a field drive at some point I think you would be very disappointed with any other F150 after a '19 Raptor...LIVE SHOCKS WOW. I also agree with you on the seats, amazing upgrade!
SPOAT (03-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Ford raptor over kill ?