Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Raptor and F150 transfer case?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Difference between Raptor and F150 transfer case?

This article, which came out a while ago, states that the 2017 Raptor will come with a "crazy combo AWD/4WD system" and claims that it's the first of its kind.

Does anyone know how the transfer case in the Raptor is different than the transfer case on Lariat-and-up model F150s that have the 4-Auto mode? Is the 4-Auto mode on F150s not all-wheel drive? I test drove a Lariat in 4A and watched the screen that shows power to the wheels and it seemed to operate in the same way as my AWD Highlander.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From everything I can gather, the Raptor will be the only Ford vehicle with the new transfer case. This will be a first for a truck to have clutches in the transfer case which allows for a true all-wheel drive mode. The current F150 transfer case simply switches from 2wd to 4wd automatically if wheel slippage is detected. Having an AWD system that has the ability to lock out the transfer case clutches is a game changer for trucks.

My guess is that Ford wants the Raptor to be special the first year. It will also likely use the Raptor as a means of testing in the real world before it releases the new transfer case to a 100,000 F150's.
It's much easier to recall 15,000 Raptors then it is 100,000 F150's.

None the less, I'm excited about the new transfer case.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:20 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

According to the 2017 Ford Raptor Owners Supplement: "This system provides similar 4A capabilities as other 2-speed torque on demand (TOD) systems but with mechanically locking 4H and 4L settings. In 4A mode, the system is interactive with the road, continually monitoring and adjusting power delivery to the front and rear wheels to optimize traction based on terrain mode selection."

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...e=EN&VIN&div=f

Search this Thread